Can i get the numbers run on this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stile

Reaction score
6# White Wheat
3# Vienna
1# Honey malt
1# Carapils

I know i need 3.5 gals of water for the mash, but how much sparge water do i need?

If you boil off 1.4 gallons/hour for 60 minutes... you will need to mash in with 3.5 gallons and sparge with 4.4 gallons... this will give you exactly 5.0 post boil

Better yet, 1.5 gallons gets absorbed in the mash... so you can figure it from there too.

3.5 gallons in, minus 1.5 lost in absorption, leaves 2.0 gallons, minus your boil off, say 1.4 gallons, leaves you with .6 gallons, so you need to sparge with 4.4

Whoops sorry, ya 5 gallons.

So i'll get 2.1 gals from sparging for sure. How much wort will the tun give up from the 3.5 inital mash? And based on that amount i then add water to make up the 6.4 gals total..... right???? :drunk:

Nooo, sparge with 4.4 gallons, boil off about 1.4 gallons and end up with 5 gallons

If you mash in with 3.5 gallons, the mash will absorb 1.5 gallons, leaving 2.0 gallons.

You will sparge with 4.4, and collect 6.4.... boil down to 5.0

WOAH... okay

What is your target mash temp? Green Bay Rackers has a reputation for being off a few degrees...

Right now your mash thickness is about 1.26qt/lb... which is good.

Okay, to rest at 155F, mash in with 3.5 gallons at 164.8F....

I use StrangeBrew.. I like it a lot. ProMash is good, others as well.

my rule of thumb is to have the same volume of sparge water as your pre-boil volume.

Aka - If I'm going for a 6.5 pre-boil I'll have about 6.5 sparge water ready - sometime's I've needed it all, sometimes I haven't.

Back