Can I get some thoughts on this extract "recipe"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstaticburn

Reaction score
Hey all, I keep getting more and more sucked into this whole biz (even to the pt that I fall asleep most nights thinking about how to make good beer, LOL, sad I know, coolest part is my wife totally digs it roflololol)

Now, my idea is.

Laughing Madder Brewing : Viva La' Revoloucion Stout

1 Coopers brewmaster Irish Stout Kit
1 lb. dark DME
1 lb. light DME
1 lb. Lactose sugar
(dont wanna use the kit yeast, sugg?)

and due to the dme prolly only 200-350 grams dextrose, (as opposed to 500g)

let lactose dissolve for about ten min in a boil or maybe just shy of a boil so as not to burn the sugars, before adding kit and cooling. during cooling to 63f and the dark and light dme and the sugar, pitch once cooled.

ferm for approx 7-10 days (just depends on yeast activity) rack to 2ndary, poss on top of 1 or 2 vanilla bean pods. 1-2wks in 2ndary, then when bottling instead of a batch priming, i wanna prime per bottle with 3-4.5 ML of cuban espresso (fresh brewed) per 12oz bottles. ive done some research and think this would turn out pretty well. but def want some input.

Thanks all
Jim

Add the LME right after you cut the heat so it will pasteurize but won't burn... I'd use SA-04 or Nottingham for the schedule you're looking for.

Does cuban espresso have sugar in it? Edit: NVMD... yes it does.

awesome, thanks for the quick reply, and ill def use the nottingham yeast

btw i wont be mixing the cuban espresso with milk and sugar just black, the lactose will take care of the cream part, but i would assume that espresso has natural sugars in it

awesome, thanks for the quick reply, and ill def use the nottingham yeast

btw i wont be mixing the cuban espresso with milk and sugar just black, the lactose will take care of the cream part, but i would assume that espresso has natural sugars in it

I wouldn't assume anything... I'd try to get some specific information on how much sugar is in it, then calculate your priming amount.

FWIW, I think it will come off super coffee-y, if you do it this way... but if that's what you're going for, have at it.

I would think adding it to secondary and batch priming with corn sugar (or whatever sugar you choose) would be a better choice, but I have no experience with that.

cool that would def be easier than per bottle. i may just do that

and yea i was def wanting an espresso stout.

looking up sugars on espresso right now.

cool that would def be easier than per bottle. i may just do that

and yea i was def wanting an espresso stout

****... actually, why not add your espresso at the end of the boil?

I'd brew up the espresso, add like 8 - 16 oz at the end of the boil and call it good. There are tons of recipes out there... do a google search. Most will lead you back here anyway, lol.

Why add lactose? It is going to end up sweet anyway with all that extract.

the lactose was more to try and make it a milk stout (more for mouthfeel than sweetness), but yea i may just lay off the lactose cuz all that dme is gonna come out supersweet, i hadnt thought of that. thx

Back