Can I fix this shank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMista

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a kegerator setup and am just now getting around to hooking it up. I didn't notice this problem until I hooked up a faucet and spewed beer everywhere. One of my shank's o-rings is in the wrong spot.

Wrong: http://i.imgur.com/akFwd.jpg
Correct: http://i.imgur.com/D071A.jpg

They do not seem to slip on and off like normal o-rings. Has anyone ever seen this before or know if I can fix it myself? I feel bad asking for a return because I already got them to send me a new faucet nut because I initially thought the problem was there (the faucet didn't fit very tightly and I didn't notice the shank itself, I thought it was the nut's threading).

You should be able to roll the ring out of the wrong groove and into the right one. If not you can carefully pick part of the ring out with a needle and work it out of the groove.

Either way, you should send those pics to the vendor and let them know what you're dealing with...

Cheers!

That oring is metal right? More of a snap ring or retaining ring? You should be able to get under it with a small flat screwdriver and get it out of that grove.

Yes the oring is metal and it does not wrap the entire way around. I think in production they must place a round bar on the shank and then fold it into position. I will try moving it with a flathead, hopefully that works!

Yea looks like I am going to have to return it. I was able to pry the o ring to move it, but the groove that it sits in is too shallow on the broken one. The faucet will not screw in.

Heres to hoping that Krome will return my email and take care of it.

Yea looks like I am going to have to return it. I was able to pry the o ring to move it, but the groove that it sits in is too shallow on the broken one. The faucet will not screw in.

Heres to hoping that Krome will return my email and take care of it.

Good luck, hopefully won't be a problem.

Back