Beer left in faucet after a pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I just bought some new faucets for the keezer I'm going to make. Decided to see how the new faucets work so I hooked up some tubing, put some water in a keg, and let 'er rip. Now, I'm just holding the faucet/shank in my hand, it's not mounted on the keezer or anything.

From my playing around, I noticed that when I close the faucet, there was still some water that was held in there between the seal and the tip. I'd say its held in there similar to how you put your finger on the top of a straw full of water, it just stays in there. But, if I tilted the faucet or shook it or whatever, it released the water.

Is this normal? I imagine so since without some type of siphon-break or whatever (which would be bad since it would just spew beer everywhere), it wouldn't self-release this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it just seems like basic science from when I was a kid playing with a straw. If it's normal, what do you do about it? Seemed like a good splash of water coming out of there.

Drink regularly :yes:.

You could put caps on the faucet.

You could pour off the first little bit.

I think forward sealing faucets minimize this and if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Haha, I drink enough regularly. My concern is more that it just 'releases' (?) itself in-between pours. I got perlick faucets, forward sealing and what have you. But I imagine it would/should happen with any kind.

Like, if you stop a siphon, the wort doesn't rush out the end of the tube, it just stays there.

I've had that thought too. I have forward sealing Intertap faucets and have nearly completed my keezer build to where I have the taps working and the drip tray installed. After the pour, there's a drop that hangs for 5 seconds maybe which I know to catch. Other than that, I have been periodically checking the drip tray to see what happens and I haven't seen anything on the drip tray. My main concern was whether I would need to monitor the tray for fruit flies come summertime. I also wondered whether that little bit would taste off but haven't noticed. I have a pipe tower that has air cooling ready but the fan isn't hooked up completely. My basement though is cold. I slightly miscalculated my gas props and they don't quite hold the lid open and I recently had shoulder surgery so I haven't been able to make the final adjustments. All I can do with it at the moment is watch to see if the beer drips so I have been diligently doing that.

I get one drip from my Intertaps, too.
I rinse the inside of the faucet with a shot of sanitizer after I'm done pouring, then put on the vinyl cap to keep bugs out.

Latest posts

Back