Can I expect my final gravity to drop anymore?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baboon

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch (DIPA) on Jan 18. The OG was 1.083. I took my first FG reading yesterday and it was 1.022. It doesn't look like there is too much more yeast activity going on in the fermenter. Can I expect the FG to get any lower, or is that pretty much it? Or, do I just need to take a couple more measurements and see? I still need to dry hop it in the second fermenter and add the sugar for bottling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by my calculations, that is about 8% abv?

BTW, it tasted really good.

If you are still going to dry hop this brew, then I would say you can transfer it to a secondary now. You want there to be a little fermentation still going when you start to dry hop IMO.

The OG was 1.083. I took my first FG reading yesterday and it was 1.022. Can I expect the FG to get any lower, or is that pretty much it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by my calculations, that is about 8% abv?

BTW, it tasted really good.

That would be about it. "Normally" FG should be about one-fourth of the OG. I get 8.1% abv using your numbers. :tank:

-OCD

If you are still going to dry hop this brew, then I would say you can transfer it to a secondary now. You want there to be a little fermentation still going when you start to dry hop IMO.

I must respectfully disagree...I want fermentation to be completely finished before racking to secondary, and even then I wait a few days after transferring for it to stop gassing off before adding dry hops. If there's still CO2 being released it will take a lot of your dry hop aroma with it. I dry hopped early with my first couple of batches (airlock was still bubbling) and by the time I opened the bottles it was like I hadn't even dry-hopped at all.

I moved it to secondary fermentation last night and dry hopped. I got the same FG reading two days in a row. Primary fermentation lasted 12 days.

Latest posts

Back