can i bottle apfelwein @ 1.070

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
My apfelwein has been going since the 12JAN I would like to bottle it today.

Can I do it right now? IT is very clear and almost to the 1.000

I saw the title and thought WTF...@ 1070 NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

At nearly 1000 probably/ how near 1000 is it?
It normally finishes <1000

You may get some carbonation.

i'd leave it another couple of weeks. add dextrose if you want carbonation in the bottle. mine's at 1.002, but i'm still gonna leave it a couple more weeks.

If it stays the same(or has stayed) for a couple days then OK.

My first thought was the same as Orfy's.

I would like to see bottles done at 1.070........................from a great distance or on video.

Yes, bottle it at 1.070. Wait a few weeks, then hurl 'em at the neighbor kids when the little bastards traipse all through yer yard. An ER visit and multiple cosmetic surgeries later, the kids will have learnt their lesson.

:D

If you bottle it now, it will carbonate and the gravity will go down in the bottle a little (it'll be dry). If you wait and bottle it without priming sugar, it will not be carbonated (but wil still be dry). If you bottle it with priming sugar now, you'll get carbonated apfelwein that's dry. If you sweeten it with something nonfermentable and add priming sugar and then bottle it, you'll get carbonated sweet apfelwein.

There's more math to it than I know about, is it 0.002 or 0.02 per volume of CO2?

Or am I completely messed up?

I plan on carbing in bottles, but want to make sure I can do the best I can with my apfelwein. So if I must wait to do my best I will put all my gear away and wait till it is @ or below 1.000

amishland said:
I plan on carbing in bottles, but want to make sure I can do the best I can with my apfelwein. So if I must wait to do my best I will put all my gear away and wait till it is @ or below 1.000

Looks like a good plan.

Now go ahead and start another batch while you are waiting. :D

In a bind I bottled some apfelwein at 1.001. I wanted to give it more time, but I was moving. It turned out to be carbonated just right(without adding any priming sugar).

That said, I'm not sure how much 1.007 would contribute co2 wise to bottles. If you can I'd recommend waiting. It tastes better as it ages anyways.

Back