Can I bitter the beer by adding hop tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterc

Reaction score
My beer is a little bit too sweet, I want to bitter it up a bit.

What i need to know is, can I make hop tea the way I boil up a wort, just without fermentables. If so, how much water volume do I need ?

Thankyou guys :D

Being a "little sweet" did it get down within the normal FG range for the recipe? That could be why it's a little sweet. I've made hop teas in the BK before for flavor additions,but never for bittering. I suppose you could try boiling the hops for an hour in a bit of water to see if it'd work.

I did it once several years ago when I screwed up. I used about 1 oz hop pellets in 1 qt water (if my memory serves me correctly), boiled for 60 minutes in a covered saucepan, then used a french press to filter out most of the hop debris, and then added it to the brew which was in a keg.

The beer tasted much better after the addition than it did before. You can also get hop extract to do the same thing, but I don't know if it's available in Bangkok.

-a.

I thought that hops wouldn't bitter if there wasn't any sugar to react with?

Back