Hop usage for aroma vs bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terminata

Reaction score
I am wanting to have more aroma and less bitterness in my beer. Would putting the hops in AFTER the main boiling but while the wort is still hot do that for me?

I am wanting to have more aroma and less bitterness in my beer. Would putting the hops in AFTER the main boiling but while the wort is still hot do that for me?
Try using dual purpose hops for bittering during the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Hops that are boiled add bitterness to your beer and most of the aromatic oils that we get the aroma from is boiled away. The less time boiled, the less bitterness and more aroma. For lots of aroma, don't boil them at all. Add them to the fermenter when the fermentation has slowed to nearly still. We call that dry hopping. If oxygen is introduced when adding the hops the aroma will fade with time and mostly be gone in 3-4 months.

Adding hops into hot wort post-boil is called a “hop stand.” The other term you’ll hear is “whirlpool hops.” 10-20 minutes in 70 C wort is a great way to get a lot of hop aroma without much bitterness. And you don’t have the oxygen exposure issues that can come with dry hopping. It’s a great technique for beginners, and for that matter, experts.

You generally don’t want your wort to sit for too long at 80 C or above because you'll create DMS (dimethyl sulfide) that then won’t get driven off, and your beer will taste like canned corn. That will be a bigger or smaller problem, depending on the style of beer and the sensitivity of the people drinking it.

Sounds good. I love the hops aroma of some of the European beers without the lingering bitterness that a lot of our domestic beers have...

Back