Can CO2 be a source of off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have built a new kegerator and finally getting back to having kegs of beer ready to go. (In the past, just leaving the kegs in the basement ambient was too hit or miss on carbonation, so really hoping this makes things better.)

Anyway, now that I have a keg sitting under pressure again, I am remembering this off flavor from back when I was kegging regularly. It is nasty kind of medicinal industrial flavor. This never shows up in my bottled beers. Not sure if I recall a kegged beer that didn't have it.

My CO2 is paintball canisters, were new so not used. Filled at the local paintball place. My regulators are two used units that I built into a dual gauge/output system. The taps are the perlick foamers, used but from a very respected local brewer. The taps were all pulled and soaked and cleaned before going into the new keggerator. (Some of the chroming has come off the shanks, not sure if that is an issue?)

Anyway, I am wondering if it is my CO2. I have only ever gotten it from this one place. But then when you research beverage CO2 you run into a morass of 'this' and 'that' and you end up not knowing anymore than you started with.

(As a follow up, I am feeling like the flavors of the gas are now in the beer so the whole 2.5gal keg is ruined... :( Not sure it would be possible to 'outgas' the bad flavors with different CO2)

I may be wrong on this but paintball CO2 isnt processed as well as food grade CO2. I would imagine that refill process is dirty at a fill station based off of the ones I have seen. I your tanks may have residue built up as well. I would recommend using a tank that you can swap at airgas or depending on where you live, Marijuana grow shops will fill 20#+ tanks for dirt cheap with close to food grade quality.

From what I understand, most CO2 we get is all the same and beverage grade. But could there be lubricating oil added to paintball CO2 canisters?

Almost a metallic, somewhat harsh, but kinda back behind the other beer flavors, maybe with a lingering aftertaste ?

If so, it's carbonic acid. Happens sometimes when carbing too quickly. It'll fade over time. Sometimes takes a couple weeks.

Could also be where you get your tanks filled. Lots of people use compressed air or nitrogen now days in paintball, so the co2 system may not be used often, and may not be too clean. They may not take care of their system either...

Could also be where you get your tanks filled. Lots of people use compressed air or nitrogen now days in paintball, so the co2 system may not be used often, and may not be too clean. They may not take care of their system either...

This made me call them. I have asked in the past about getting CO2 fill, and they said yes. Just now I tried to ask a few more specific questions of the guy on phone and he said, "in our guns we used compressed air". I asked if that is what I would get if I bring in a tank and he said yes.

Sigh. Not sure he fully understood, because had to walk through the question a couple times, but that is where I got to. I may not even be using CO2...and that would TOTALLY explain some longer lived kegs that spoiled??

Standard lines from my HBS. The colored ones for pressure side and clear for the serving side.

If they are vinyl, which there is a good chance they are, that could definitely be it. Splurge on a set of expensive lines for one of your taps and see if that improves it.

This made me call them. I have asked in the past about getting CO2 fill, and they said yes. Just now I tried to ask a few more specific questions of the guy on phone and he said, "in our guns we used compressed air". I asked if that is what I would get if I bring in a tank and he said yes.

Sigh. Not sure he fully understood, because had to walk through the question a couple times, but that is where I got to. I may not even be using CO2...and that would TOTALLY explain some longer lived kegs that spoiled??

Any reputable paintball shop should know the difference between CO2 and compressed air. It is absolutely true that the vast majority of guns use compressed air (just plain old air out of a compressor), but lots of entry-level guns still use CO2.

It's possible that a not so knowledgeable or not so patient employee gave you compressed air. Do you have a picture of your cylinder? I can tell you right away if it's CO2 or not based on the tank.

This thread just became hilarious!

I'm sorry, but... hilarious!

I definitely recommend somewhere else now, even if they do have co2. Lol!

Then there is the price issue. Paintball shops typically sell CO2 by the ounce. Filling my 20# tank by them would have run over $65. I paid $27.50 at the fire protection service for a refill.

Then there is the price issue. Paintball shops typically sell CO2 by the ounce. Filling my 20# tank by them would have run over $65. I paid $27.50 at the fire protection service for a refill.

I pay $18 for a 5# and $21 for a 20# at American Welding & Gas. I try not to use the 5# too much. Lol!

A paintball shop by me wanted $28 to fill a 5#. I wonder if compressed air would have been cheaper! :ban:

I pay $18 for a 5# and $21 for a 20# at American Welding & Gas. I try not to use the 5# too much. Lol!

A paintball shop by me wanted $28 to fill a 5#. I wonder if compressed air would have been cheaper! :ban:

This is becoming more hilarious!

The 5# are great for their portability, and last a long time if you're only dispensing with them. I'm considering it. Or just keep playing hulk, which is good too.

Latest posts

Back