Can anyone translate German beer stein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echopractic

Reaction score
I have two beer steins that seem to be a pair, one of them I was able to translate using an online translator. The other one however is only coming up with half the words, I could be misreading them. Here is what I got

Sind dirtrocken Kals und Bung
Kehr hier zu kiihlein Drunk

Which came out translating to

Are dirtrocken Kals and Bung
Return here to kiihlein Drunk

IMAG0100[1].jpg

IMAG0101[1].jpg

I could be wrong, but it looks like the stein says: "Sind dirtrocken Hals und Bung / Kehr hier ein zu kuhlem Trunk".

That "u" in "kuhlem" should actually have an umlaut over it, but I can't type that on my phone.

My German has gone to pot, but I believe it translates to something about a dry throat and tongue and getting a cool drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My German has gone to pot, but I believe it translates to something about a dry throat and tongue and getting a cool drink.

I got a bit further in the reading and translation of it, and now have

Sind dir trocken hals und Bung
Kehr hier ein zu kühlem trunk

Which translates to
Are you dry throat and Bung
Return here to a cool drink

Still cannot find out what Bung means.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the stein says: "Sind dirtrocken Hals und Bung / Kehr hier ein zu kuhlem Trunk".

That "u" in "kuhlem" should actually have an umlaut over it, but I can't type that on my phone.

Actually, yes, you can type the umlaut over the u... Hold down the "u" key and it will give you all the options. Works with other letters as well, and the zero key will also give the option of the degrees sign.

That's a z, not a B or J. That makes it "Zung" - Zunge is tongue. The e is left off to make it rhyme.

It basically means:

"If your throat and tongue are dry, make a stop here for a cool drink".

Thanks everybody for helping me with this. You are a wonderful group of people.

I didn't think the esset (B) was used at the beginning of a word. However, as mentioned, it's been many, many years since I've spoken or written German, so I could be wrong on that.

I asked my wife (she's German) and she agreed with the throat and tongue translation. That is either old German or a dialect she doesn't know, hence her confusion with the word that starts with the "B".

As for the B looking letter. It is not a double S. She said there are no words that begin with an esset. Zunge would make sense in context with the saying. The ' at the end of the word also indicates that the e was left off, but again, she said it doesn't look like an old script Z. We will ask her grandma tomorrow to see if it could be a different word, but she's pretty sure it's Zunge.

I asked my wife (she's German) and she agreed with the throat and tongue translation. That is either old German or a dialect she doesn't know, hence her confusion with the word that starts with the "B".

As for the B looking letter. It is not a double S. She said there are no words that begin with an esset. Zunge would make sense in context with the saying. The ' at the end of the word also indicates that the e was left off, but again, she said it doesn't look like an old script Z. We will ask her grandma tomorrow to see if it could be a different word, but she's pretty sure it's Zunge.

It looks like an esset but if no words start with that I will stand corrected. I only know "survival" German so I won't argue. :D

Actually, yes, you can type the umlaut over the u... Hold down the "u" key and it will give you all the options. Works with other letters as well, and the zero key will also give the option of the degrees sign.

Not on my HP. Hold down the zero key and I get a string of zeros, see above. LOL

It looks like an esset but if no words start with that I will stand corrected. I only know "survival" German so I won't argue. :D

No arguments here, either. That's just what the German lady said ;)

Well, a table full of Germans say it is Zung' (Zunge) which means tongue.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408734963.437391.jpg

I just noticed you're in Mainz. I haven't been there since 87! I do remember Eva's Pilstuben. We started with a Becks, then Warsteiner, then Bitburger, then Jever. We never left Jever!! :mug:

We live just south of Mainz in a Stadt-Kreis (suburb) by Nieder-Olm. I like it here.

A friend of mine is working to become a BJCP Beer Judge. We took a trip together last April that included Amsterdam for beer week, Westvleteren monastery in Belgium, Brussels for Cantillion etc., Leuven for the Zythos Fest, Bamberg for Rauschbier, Windeseschenbach for Zoigl, Pilsen Czech for obvious reasons, Berlin, because I have friends there, Leipzig for Gose, Koln for Kolsch and Dusseldorf for Alt. If you're going to learn what something is supposed to taste like, go to the source! Next time I hope to slow down a little and go back to Mainz as I have friends that live near there also. Nice area for sure!
Prost!

How about,

"If your throat and tongue are dry,
Come to me and cold drinks embibe"

How about,

"If your throat and tongue are dry,

Come to me and cold drinks embibe"

It's difficult to literally translate because it's a saying and the grammar isn't correct (at least to today's standards). And who would put correct grammar on a drinking stein? ;)

The ..."stop by here for a cool drink" translation is correct.

I have two beer steins that seem to be a pair, one of them I was able to translate using an online translator. The other one however is only coming up with half the words, I could be misreading them. Here is what I got

Sind dirtrocken Kals und Bung
Kehr hier zu kiihlein Drunk

Which came out translating to

Are dirtrocken Kals and Bung
Return here to kiihlein Drunk

View attachment 218570

View attachment 218571
Hello. I can tell you exactly what this means. " Sind Dir trocken hals und Bung" in broken English means "Are your dry throat and Keg"...
"

Back