can anyone find a recipe for Lagunitas Nighttime Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpdesigns

Reaction score
So I tried the black ipa from Lagunitas, nighttime ale, last night and just loved it! Id really like to brew a clone of these, but I can not find any recipes, especially an extract recipe since I still don't have equipment to do all grain. Any help is very appreciated!

I wish, I just tried it tonight and it's a favorite. Once this brew catches on I'm sure there will be some great clone recipes to follow.

Yeah I cannot place it.

Not my favorite but definitely curious as to what's in it.

Resurrecting this thread again! I'd like to brew this with extract. Anyone found a recipe?

I haven't. I think there's some Simcoe in there and a lot of it.

Hey there, I made a Black IPA last year when Nighttime Ale came out (without my knowledge). Friends liked my Black IPA. I discovered Nighttime soon after it was released and thought, wow, this is great and similar. Lagunitas makes the better of the bunch, to me, because the blackness of the IPA isn't accompanied with stout-like characteristics. I think a Black IPA should be an IPA that's simply looking black -- no black malt characteristics, somehow. That's the challenge of making a Black IPA. Make Pliny black, right? Good luck. Anyway, overall, mine was less fruity and less sweet, but I used Maris Otter as a base, along with flaked oats and Weyermann Carafa II (the dehusked version). Simple. For hops? Lots of hops. Unfortunately, I used a blend so I can't tell you the individual hops: Falconer's Flight from 30 min and on, continuous. There were differences, of course. Overall, mine was less fruity and also less sweet. I had a high ferment, for one... Hope this gives you ideas :mug:

I think there's some Simcoe in there and a lot of it.
Funny! A friend gave me a couple of bottle of this beer. Had neighbors over and I pulled out a bottle. Pat's a cat person and drinks light lagers. She'll always try my hoppy beers but they make her face pucker up while shaking her head no. Well, she takes a sip of Nighttime and the first thing out of her mouth is, "Cat piss. It tastes like cat piss!" So, I'm thinking, yeah, I get a some of that, but I really like this beer. Must be Simcoe. A search for the recipe didn't turn up much and this is the first references to Simcoe that I saw. Anyone having luck with a recipe?

Hey Crestline can you post your recipe that you thought was close? enough time we can definitely try to get it nailed down I love the great darkness without the cocoa bitterness. Definitely Simcoe and probably Amarillo for that citrusy note

I smell Nugget hops. I made a SMaSH with Vienna and only an ounce of stupidly over the top AA Nugget hops in the dry hop and it smelled like this beer.

I really like Lagunitas NightTime. It's one of the best Black IPAs out there. I've subscribed to this thread hoping you hear something back from them!

It's not looking good as that's been about a month.

I recently had a beer that was described as being a 'piney' IPA. I didn't realize that when people describe that, that they don't mean pine. It is in no way what I would call 'piney.' However I'm not a beer judge.

Anyway, there may not be simcoe in it. It may be Chinook as that is what was in the beer that I tried that tasted similar.

yes I have never recieved a reply and for that im kinda bummed. I did make a couple changes to a texas brown and it came out pretty good not quite nightline but still god specially when hopped up like an IPA

Here's what I did over a year ago, which I corrected for a 5 gal batch:

07% Carafa Special -- the de-husked version ;o)
07% Flaked Oats
86% Maris Otter

WLP001

10 min Falconer's Flight 1 oz
15 min Falconer's Flight 1 oz
20 min Falconer's Flight 1 oz
25 min Falconer's Flight 1 oz

High ferment, three weeks primary then bottle

My notes state that my version was less fruity and less sweet

Back