Can anybody near north Louisiana spare a yeast packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod251

Reaction score
First off, hello all. I've been lurking for a while and learning as much as I can. I have my first two batches in fermenters right now. They are 3 gallon all-grain batches that I brewed in the kitchen. The first is a Sweet Stout that is moving right along smoothly. The second, a SMaSH, is the reason I'm posting. I brewed it Monday. I used 5 lbs of American 2-row(mashed 1 hour @156) and .75oz of German Tradition hops, added to the boil in .25oz increments at 60, 30, and 15 minutes. I was going for a light cream ale under 20 IBU. OG was a little low, only 1.035. Chalk that up to my sparging method, I suppose. Anyway, I rehydrated and pitched a pack of Nottingham per the instructions(after aerating the wort), paying close attention to my temps, and now over 72 hours later, nothing. No airlock bubbling, no krausen, and before Revvy scolds me, I took a hydrometer reading today...1.035. I gave the fermenter a good shake last night hoping to wake up the yeasties, but no luck. I don't have the yeast package, but I'm thinking maybe I got some from the problem batch that I read about AFTER making my purchase(just my luck). There are no local homebrew shops in my area, so I'm stuck with mail orders only. I hate to spend more on shipping than the yeast itself costs and wait a week for it to arrive, especially since this wort is already 3 days old. If anybody within a couple days' mailing time could send me a pack to try to salvage this batch, I would be grateful, and I would gladly reimburse you for your trouble. Or do you guys think I best go ahead and scrap this one? In the future, there will be backup yeast in my house at all times! Thanks in advance. :mug:

Back