Can any bacteria survive this cold snap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
It's -10F outside and I'm trying to cool my wort down. Obviously it's slow-going with the lid still on the bucket as it's providing thermal insulation within itself.

Although I know I won't get responses until after it really matters this time around, but...

...can a guy really leave his lid off and let that boiled wort cool out in the open at negative temperatures for 15 minutes or so without having to worry about bacterial infection?

Thanks

The short answer: no. Cold doesn't kill bacteria, it just slows them down. There are bacteria thriving even in the Arctic.

You could vent your lid a little and create a path for heat to escape. If you are still doing 1-1.5 gal batches, it wont take too long. Especially if you have a heat-conductive place to set it like a metal table.

It's -10F outside and I'm trying to cool my wort down. Obviously it's slow-going with the lid still on the bucket as it's providing thermal insulation within itself.

Why not just buy an immersion chiller? They are easy to hook up to a kitchen sink faucet with an adapter.

Rev.

Back