Can a temp controller make a keezer colder than factory settings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfolks

Reaction score
So I have a professional/restaurant grade kegerator (sweet craigslist find). It has an internal temp control nob (without specific temperature labels, naturally), which I can use to adjust the temp. However, the coldest setting only pours 39.5* beer (I imagine it is about 38* in the keg before being poured). Would a temperature controller (johnson controls, STC-1000, etc) be able to get this thing down past 38 (like to 30-32)? Or is this as cold as this kegertor is ever gonna get? The fan/cooling still runs intermittently on the coldest setting, so my theory is that a digital temp controller would force the motor to run as much as needed to reach 32 (or whatever I set it to).

Is my theory sound? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

No, an extra controller can not make it colder that it can do on its own. A controller that's on the whole time trying to make it colder will be no different than having the fridge plugged straight into the wall

What he said^^^^^^

The exterior thermostat will not over ride the interior thermostat. It only acts as a piggy back, shutting off the power and turning it on when needed. I suppose there would be a way to wire past the interior thermostat, but someone else would have to chime in on the specifics of that.

Yes. A controller can be used to drop the temperature lower than the stock thermostat allows. However, this can't be achieved without bypassing the existing thermostat. If it is a TRUE brand kegerator, bypassing the thermostat may be fairly simple.

raouliii said:
Yes. A controller can be used to drop the temperature lower than the stock thermostat allows. However, this can't be achieved without bypassing the existing thermostat. If it is a TRUE brand kegerator, bypassing the thermostat may be fairly simple.

The brand is Continental. I believe this is the model: http://www.kegerators.com/equipment/continental-kegerator-KC24.php

What would bypassing the thermostat involve? I'm starting to think I'm getting in over my head...

I know little about the Continental units. It could be something as simple as jumpering two wires that attach to the thermostat and then using an external controller. However, this method likely results in the loss of the constant air movement provide by the evaporator fans. The best method is to jumper out the thermostat and install a controller that controls the compressor only.

If you're already considering that you're getting in over your head, you probably are. Do you know any electricians?

There may be a way to adjust the thermostat to a lower temp but I'm not sure. Give them a call and find out.

A Division of National Refrigeration & A/C Products, Inc.
539 Dunksferry Road Bensalem, PA 19020
(800) 523-7138 Fax: (215) 244-9579

I did a little more investigation and found this Installation and Operation Manual. Page 14 has a reference to the condensing unit being plugged into a receptacle labeled condensing unit. While your unit may not have a condensate heater, that reference indicates that the condensing unit (compressor/condensor assembly) may be simply plugged in with a standard 120vac plug and receptacle. This would make it fairly easy to install an external controller by simply inserting the controller into that circuit using an extension cord. This would maintain the constant air movement provided by the evaporator fan. The thermostat would need to be jumpered in order for the external controller to have control.

I have modified a TRUE cooler in much the same way with a STC1000 type controller.

BTW, NivekD comment is valid. The thermostat may have an adjustment that could be made.
Page 8 of the above manual also has a discussion about adjusting the thermostat, clockwise for colder. The discussion indicates that a temperature range of 34degF to 38degF should be maintainable but hints that additional adjustments by a refrigeration professional are available.

Your keezer can operate just fine at 38F, most people operate in that range anyways..if you get too close to freezing your kegs are going to freeze when your freezer overshoots.

Not quite sure why you want your keezer to be 30-32F anyways?

thanks to everyone for the replies! this really gives me a good start.

As for why I want to go below 38... I've been trying to dual-use the kegerator as a lagering chamber. So I've been lagering at 38, but I would like to lager at 32 or so. Is that too cold for serving temp? I'm still new to lagering...is lagering at 38 no big deal?

Back