can a person drink a sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster452

Reaction score
Okay, first, I would never attempt or recommend that anyone attempt this, but scientifically speaking, is it possible for one human being to drink a sanke keg without sleeping?

There are two ways of answering: a straight no, meaning no human of any weight or alcohol tolerance could do it, or, a yes followed by a condition, as in "yes, if he were a seven foot tall 380 lb irishman.

To set scientific boundaries, a 4.5% ABV beer with no adjuncts at 15.5 gals.

Well, I knew an Irishman, I say knew, he's dead now, and he drank 60 Imperial pints(9 US gallons) in one day, and the chances are it was actually more than that. Now I knew the barman personally and it came up as one day I asked him about the three pint Guinness glass that was behind the counter. He told me it was Joes glass and went on to explain of the day that Joe came in and announced to him that he was going to drink that day so he proceeded to take a matchstick out of a box for every pint, he said at the end of the day he counted 60 matches and he's not sure if he got them all, this was up until closing time. Joe was a big man who drank his land away once his wife died, he ran tabs and used to swap land and property to clear tabs.

I remember a conversation one day at the bar with Joe, he was listening in on a hard luck story of someone who had been caught by the popo after driving home after three pints and getting caught, this was rural ireland and everyone drank and drove at the time. In any case Joe piped up that he had been caught drink driving once and that it was terrible hard luck, he was cashing in on the sympathy of the previous story, well that was until he laughed and said, " ah well I probably deserved it, I'd drank 40 pints at the time".
His heart eventually gave in, which I suppose is no wonder considering his size and not inconsiderable alcohol intake.
I'd imagine he did a Sanke at least once over the space of a day, he'd buy you a pint of Guinness and finish it before you considered your own pint to be settled, he was an animal of a man.
RIP Joe McGrath,he's still a legend in the area of Hillstreet, Co Roscommon.

That's a lot of beer. I've done camping trips where we would drink all day. I never made it past maybe 18 beers drinking all day which is slightly over 1.5 gallons, and I consider that a lot.

So I says No! No normal man anyway...

yes but not in any reasonable, healthy or probably legal way. I am reasonably certain it could be done over a period of 4 days. Heavy stimulants would have to be used to keep going.

This would be a very bad idea and a stupid thing to try.

I've personally hit close to thirty pints in a day, I err would have lost count over 20....I was young and a rugby player, it was like a badge.....a vomit stained one, but a badge none the less.

never vomited cold beer? if i puke right after chugging a beer its still cold and delicious.

(thats fricken gross about the carrots though, is there a vomiting emoticon?)

My first thought was also Andre. Man had a legendary life / physique / liver. AZ thanks for savingme the goolging on that factoid.

Andre the giant may have been able to do it, but I would like to reiterate that I would never attempt, or recommend that anyone attempt it. It was more of a hypothetical query.

Please don't try this!

But, if you were to drink a pint an hour, it would take 124 hours. Without stimulants, pretty much impossible, and I absolutely do not condone illegal stimulants. Plus, you have to figure stimulants are going to stress your liver and your heart even further, making it possible to die trying, rather than just pass out.

Having said that, alcohol poisoning is a very real and very probable outcome from even a failed attempt, so again:

DON'T TRY THIS!

But some of your responses were pretty funny, and thank you for that.

As to the guy who claims that puking ice cold beer is "cold and delicious," gross. When I puke, I'm done.

haha. yeah, that was an exaggeration, delicious? no. better than chunky warm beer? yes. and i say any one who thinks they can do it, go for it. we don't need you in the gene pool. also if you think taking your hair dryer in the shower is a good idea you should do that too. your genes are also not needed.:D

As a final reiteration, a friend and I once drank a corny keg (~5 gals.) over the course of 16-18 hours, between the two of us, and even that was enough to give me a three day hangover, and may have given me a touch of alcohol poisoning. So my feeling is it's just not possible, and would be very stupid to try.

Andre was roughly the size of four average men when he drank 119 beers, and I'm not completely convinced even he could finish a sanke.

The dude I knew Joe, was about 350+lb and was about 6'2" so he was a veritable man mountain, a lot of the weight was in his massively overhanging belly, I suppose there were things he no longer needed once his wife died, had he needed said things he'd have needed a mountain rescue team I suspect.

By the way, if that vomit emoticon was created because of my thread, I consider that a badge. A vomit stained badge, yadda yadda.

Not going to lie, I thought this thread said "can a person drink a snake" THAT caught my interest.

As to your question, no. No they could not. But if you try, please film it and post here.

my first day at bonnaroo last year I drank 60 PBRs between 7am and 4:30am.... that's 6 gallons... which is still only roughly 3 beers an hour.

To finish a sanke in even say... 48 hours you'd have to drink 4 an hour for 48 hours... 6 beers an hour will do ya in 26 hours. I'd say not a friggen' chance.

Okay, first, I would never attempt or recommend that anyone attempt this, but scientifically speaking, is it possible for one human being to drink a sanke keg without sleeping?

There are two ways of answering: a straight no, meaning no human of any weight or alcohol tolerance could do it, or, a yes followed by a condition, as in "yes, if he were a seven foot tall 380 lb irishman.

To set scientific boundaries, a 4.5% ABV beer with no adjuncts at 15.5 gals.

I have watched my best friend down 90 coors lights in a 24 hrs period which is 8.4375 gallons He was ripped but not passing out, he is 6 ft and maybe 160 soaking wet, so it may be POSSIBLE for a much heavier man to do it, but i highly doubt it. My friends problem wasn't so much being drunk as it was getting that many down comfortably in that time frame.

I have watched my best friend down 90 coors lights in a 24 hrs period which is 8.4375 gallons He was ripped but not passing out, he is 6 ft and maybe 160 soaking wet, so it may be POSSIBLE for a much heavier man to do it, but i highly doubt it. My friends problem wasn't so much being drunk as it was getting that many down comfortably in that time frame.

That reminds me of a joke:

After the Britain Beer Festival, in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

The guy from Corona sits down and says, "Hey Senor, I would like the world's best beer, a Corona." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him. The guy from Budweiser says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him one. The guy from Coors says, "I'd like the only beer made with Rocky Mountain spring water, give me a Coors." He gets it.

The guy from Guinness sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The bartender is a little taken aback, but gives him what he ordered. The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask "Why aren't you drinking a Guinness?" and the Guinness president replies, "Well, I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I."

At the end....not in between, that's disgusting, I've never thrown up and then continued to drink. I like my beers unfiltered, but that does not allow for chunks of carrot.....

Wow, that totally reminds me of this:

How many beers you think he had?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that totally reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5xmrlSOZpw

How many beers you think he had?

Maybe only one? Several times. But that's totally gross.

One thing I'm curious about. People have made some pretty wild claims (including myself), and because I know mine at least is true, I wonder. At some point drinking even outrageous amounts of WATER can be toxic to your body. Is it safer to drink the same quantity of beer. Like the guy who drank 60 pbrs in 21ish hours; what if you drank the same quantity of water?

I think there are exceptions to every rule, normal people would not be able to drink that much, but I knew that guy I talked about when he was alive, he sank a pint by inhalation, it was scary to watch. I believe what I was told as I'm a friend of the barman too, I believe Joe could have done it, and exceeded it too. I am of the opinion that a Sanke could be drunk by the right person within 24 hours, it's only just over three pints an hour....:O

I think there are exceptions to every rule, normal people would not be able to drink that much, but I knew that guy I talked about when he was alive, he sank a pint by inhalation, it was scary to watch. I believe what I was told as I'm a friend of the barman too, I believe Joe could have done it, and exceeded it too. I am of the opinion that a Sanke could be drunk by the right person within 24 hours, it's only just over three pints an hour....:O

I'm sorry, but that's off by orders of magnitude. It's almost six pints an hour, and at that rate, three hours would be challenging for any normal human, and twelve hours is likely lethal.

By my calculation there are 124 pints in a sanke. Not a pony keg, not a cornelius keg, a full on, bar standard sanke keg.

124 US pints (16 oz for girly men).
88 real pints in an EU sanke.
It appears also that the US Sanke is a little larger than the EU one at 58l, so yeah.
I was talking EU 50l sanke = 88 imperial pint(20 oz).

Well, it does appear we are dealing with different units of measurement. But how long do you think you could keep up with 3 imperial pints per hour (3*20=60 ozs)? That's five standard bottled beers over here. Per hour. Just for poops and giggles.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not believe I could drink five beers (60 ozs) per hour for more than two hours. To be honest, even if I could, I'd puss out after an hour and a half. But if my life depended on it I might be able to go three hours. Like, if there was a gun to my temple.

Come to think of it, there was a drinking game we played in college called "hour of power." We would drink one ounce of beer per minute for an hour. I guess if we did that for 24 straight hours we could drink your puny European sanke.

We also did a version called "the century club," where we did that for 100 minutes. That was the opening ceremony for the beerlympics, which is a story for another thread. But putting it in those terms, a 24 hour marathon of power hours is... retarded. I wish I hadn't started this thread.

Back