Can a home brew shop give away free homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagner416

Reaction score
I am just wondering if a homebrew shop can give away any type of beer the owner of the brew shop would make. Would there be any kind of licsence as to making the beer and just giving it away. I think a liquor liscense only pertains to selling alcohol. If any one else knows anything about this that would be great.

The one I go to you can bring in yours and sample others including the owners. Tried the best schwarzbier thanks to them.

I think it depends on the state. In Wisconsin, they have lots of samples. In Michigan, it's illegal to bring homebrew to a brewpub for homebrew club meetings, but there is a bill in the house to change that. In some states, it's illegal to transport ANY homebrew out of your home for any reason. You can't even take your own beer to your camper in a campground, for example.

Check on the state, and check local laws. The laws vary widely from state to state, from still being illegal to homebrew in some states to being able to almost sell homebrew in other states.

Check on the state, and check local laws. The laws vary widely from state to state, from still being illegal to homebrew in some states to being able to almost sell homebrew in other states.

+1

This will definitely vary depending on where you are located. I have no clue what kind of laws CO has.

FWIW, my LHBS has a 3 tap kegerator and several bottles of wine for sampling. Myself and others are always bring samples to share or troubleshoot. There's been a couple off duty cops come in as customers but I've never heard anyone question the legality of it.

FWIW, my LHBS has a 3 tap kegerator and several bottles of wine for sampling. Myself and others are always bring samples to share or troubleshoot. There's been a couple off duty cops come in as customers but I've never heard anyone question the legality of it.

Yeah, at my LHBS, they have two 2 tap towers on a True Kegerator. I know they hold club meetings there and they do bring beer.

J

I travel for work and get to go to lots of different shops. One I was at in Frederick, MD pours you a beer while you're shopping around. It wasn't that great, but hey it was free.

Sampling is a grey area for sure. Most of the time it's probably considered ok only because there are so few mechanisms for enforcement. In Wisconsin, we're not technically allowed to sample anything we make on premise, but anything anyone brings in can be served freely.

Yes, in California. NO in Oregon. The liquor laws here make me wonder how the state became such a mecca for brewing.

Sampling is a grey area for sure. Most of the time it's probably considered ok only because there are so few mechanisms for enforcement. In Wisconsin, we're not technically allowed to sample anything we make on premise, but anything anyone brings in can be served freely.

Ah! That's why when I asked about seeing a LHBS owner's set up, he told me it was at home. However, he did make the beer that was on tap to sample, and he had a soda on tap too. (This was in Wisconsin, where I do my brewing shopping)

Here in MA I've seen it both ways.

I prefer the samples! I've purchased ingredients based on them too. (Oh, that's the biscuit malt in there? Gimmee 2 pounds...)

Well that is either BS or nobody enforces it. You get free samples at every brewery tour you go to. And yes, some of them are free- you don't always have to pay admittance. And they definitely make that beer on the premises.
I have been given samples of homebrew at two different stores. At the one closest to me (Fond du Lac) he gave me a bottle to take home. At another, they had a kegerator with sampler cups and you could help yourself. But with the LHBS, the beer wasn't made on premise, as Yooper said.

I have been given samples of homebrew at two different stores. At the one closest to me (Fond du Lac) he gave me a bottle to take home. At another, they had a kegerator with sampler cups and you could help yourself. But with the LHBS, the beer wasn't made on premise, as Yooper said.

I think we're talking about the same LHBS where the kegerator was and the beer was made at his home, right? That's a great store, BTW!

I think breweries are different, since they have a license to produce and sell/give away the beer. It's not the same as a LHBS giving away samples.

In CO, where the OP is from, it shouldn't be an issue. Co has really liberal home brewing laws. I believe that's how Dry Dock started... at a Hombebrew store giving out samples.

NJ is one such state that is very specific about location of consumption:

STATE OF NEW JERSEY
DEPARTMENT OF LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
DIVISION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CONTROL
P.O. BOX 087, 140 EAST FRONT STREET
TRENTON, NJ 08625-0087
APPLICATION FOR SPECIAL PERMIT FOR HOME MANUFACTURE OF
MALT ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES [BRW]
This permit will authorize the home manufacture of up to 200
gallons of malt alcoholic beverages (beer, ale, stout, porter) for
personal consumption only. Product manufactured under the
authority of this Permit may not be sold nor may it be used for any
purpose other than personal consumption at the address which
appears below, by the permittee, his/her family and their bona-fide
guests. This application must be accompanied by a fee of $15.00 in
the form of a Money Order or Check payable to the Division of
A.B.C.

Yes, they even require a permit for homebrew (where the above quote was taken from) and a separate one for winemaking.

But of course, I've always been of the mind: "it's only illegal if you get caught"...

I think we're talking about the same LHBS where the kegerator was and the beer was made at his home, right? That's a great store, BTW!

I think breweries are different, since they have a license to produce and sell/give away the beer. It's not the same as a LHBS giving away samples.

I don't go there anymore. There is a better (and cheaper) one that opened up closer to me. :ban::ban:

And you are probably right about the brewery thing....

EDIT: :off: Hey- how come my bananas aren't dancing??????

I don't go there anymore. There is a better (and cheaper) one that opened up closer to me. :ban::ban:

And you are probably right about the brewery thing....

EDIT: :off: Hey- how come my bananas aren't dancing??????

They are dancing. I think your browser is just not cooperating with the gifs.

In CO, where the OP is from, it shouldn't be an issue. Co has really liberal home brewing laws. I believe that's how Dry Dock started... at a Hombebrew store giving out samples.

Little off topic, but Dry dock was a great place. Was fortunate to go there last time I was in Denver

Well that is either BS or nobody enforces it. You get free samples at every brewery tour you go to. And yes, some of them are free- you don't always have to pay admittance. And they definitely make that beer on the premises.

Right, I was specifically referring to the law regarding what you can or can't do as a homebrew shop. Commercial breweries have licenses to sell/give away beer on premise as they see fit.

There's also liability and whatnot, so that's a consideration anyone giving out samples should keep in mind. We don't want customers driving drunk or anything.

Our LHBS does not, but I wish there could be samples in small cups... similar to up scale grocers that offer free mini-samples of coffee... it can provide motivation to try something new...

You can look up the laws on the AHA's site. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/utah

Here a HBS might be able to have 72 oz on hand to sample. If every one filed out score sheets they might could have 72 oz of three different beers. There is no HBS near here. If there was one and word got out that they had been serving beer I've no doubt these new laws would be tested in court.

Back