Camping Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullet

Reaction score
I'm taking a keg to the cabin this weekend, and I'm looking for a way to keep it cool-ish. It's not going to be sweltering here, I live pretty far north. I've decided on some kind of a garbage can/insulation/ice/water setup. My question is what would be the most effective way to use the insulation?

I saw a thread on here where someone just wrapped some silver insulation directly around the keg, but I was thinking some active way of keeping the beer cold (ice) would be good.

So, opinions, should I put the insulation away from the keg and fill the space in between with ice, like this:
100_6374.jpg

Or should I put the insulation directly around the keg, and fill the remaining space with ice, like this:
100_6375.jpg

Or I guess I could even put the insulation on the outside of the can? I'm sure it probably won't make a whole lot of difference either way, but I thought maybe someone on here would have some experience with this kind of a setup.

Thanks in advance!

my vote is insulation against the inside of the can, then ice between the insulation and the keg. That is what I do and it works well for a weekend

Mike in Duluth

Ice goes in the middle, otherwise you'll be insulating the beer from the ice. You might also want to think about cutting out an insulating bottom and lid. Even a few layers of cardboard would be good.

Also, think about putting your ice/keg in a heavyish garbage bag so that your insulation does not get wet.

my vote is insulation against the inside of the can, then ice between the insulation and the keg. That is what I do and it works well for a weekend

Mike in Duluth

Yup, that is your best bet. You want to insulate the can so the ice lasts longer.

There are a couple cooler conversions that seem to hold up pretty well through camping trips and whatnot. I would imagine one of those 10 gallon water coolers would fit a keg pretty well. That with a mini CO2 for paintball and you have yourself a portable party.

Thanks for the speedy replies! That is pretty much the answer I expected, but like I said, I had seen a picture on here where someone just wrapped a keg in this stuff. I guess they might not have been using ice.

As for a water cooler, I bet that would be even better, yeah, but at the moment $30-ish for the can and insulation is definitely cheaper than a new cooler, since my mashtun is a long rectangular one.

For the Bottom, I can probably get some cardboard, maybe wrap it in a layer of tinfoil? And for the top, I have most of a can of sprayfoam around that's just itching to get used for something. I could just shoot that all over the inside of the lid after I cut some holes for the beer line to come out. Or would more of the shiny silver stuff be better for that?

"I would pick #1, with a modification. line the inside and bottom of the insulation with a few heavy duty garbage bags to prevent water from going all over. Hopefully (if there are no holes/leakes) it will prevent insulation from getting wet and increase the efficiency of it.

Why not take two kegs?

PDR_0185_2_.jpg

I recently found that a 3 gallon keg fits quite nicely into a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler. I'm working on my old MLT now to convert it to a single keg "stealth" kegerator.

The reflectix is a radiant heat barrier. I've used it to make cooler covers to make then more efficient and also made panels to place on to of the bunkends of a popup to keep it cooler in the Florida Summer.

I would advise making a cover for the exterior of the can to reflect the heat away from the surface. Make a hood for the top to slip over the set up for additional protection.

Camp On!

OP, (or anyone else that knows) what kind of insulation is that wrapped in there? I'm using a garbage can for a kegerator on the sandbar in the Florida Keys (hot as hell) this weekend and I will be headed to home depot to find some insulation soon. thanks.

If you have an extra sleeping bag, wrap it around the outside of the garbage can. You will be amazed as how long the ice will last.

I'm really not sure of the brand name or even the name for the stuff I have in there, it's been so long. But it did come from a Home Depot, so you should be able to find it.

Its called Reflectix. Last time I was at HD, they didnt have it (I hate the local HD, never have what I need). Lowes does carry it as well though.

HD didnt have it, and I didnt catch this last post in time to hold off and check Lowes, so I went with some foam board cut into strips to line the trash can and shot great stuff in the little gaps in between each strip. I'm going to give it a shot and im optimistic as I dont need to keep it cold very long and I'll load the trash can with ice before we leave the dock. Im leaving the PVC tap tower I made uninsulated, i only have a short 2' beer line...

Back