campden tablets...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I have always heard that you need to wait 24+ hours after using campden tablets to treat water for chlorine... however, I notice in the video on youtube Brewing AG with John Palmer, he seems to add it to the water minutes before starting his brew day. Any thoughts?

I've never heard that.

I add 1/2 tab (5 gallon batch) at the beginning of the boil.

My brew water has already been run through a filter for chlorine and such, but you cannot efficiently filter out chloramine.

It takes seconds for the reaction to occur. Add it to the water, stir it up, and it will off gas the chlorine right away. You can let it sit, but it's not necessary.

J187 said:
I have always heard that you need to wait 24+ hours after using campden tablets to treat water for chlorine... however, I notice in the video on youtube Brewing AG with John Palmer, he seems to add it to the water minutes before starting his brew day. Any thoughts?

Waiting 24 hours would cause any chlorine to evaporate away from what I understand... Though chloromine is another story.

Waiting 24 hours would cause any chlorine to evaporate away from what I understand... Though chloromine is another story.

Yes, but......chlorine will dissipate in 24 hours without campden. Adding campden tablets to it will ensure the chloramine will dissipate almost instantly, as well as chlorine.

Just for a quick addition. You need/should crush the tablet into powder before adding it to water.

I think the argument some people make is that it can stall fermentation or promote off favors.

I haven't found either with or without the tablets. Or rather I haven't noticed it personally.

I haven't found either with or without the tablets. Or rather I haven't noticed it personally.

Me neither.

Perhaps that was a good excuse for someone who got off flavors from fermenting too warmly. "It was that darn Campden stuff what did it!"

Me neither.

Perhaps that was a good excuse for someone who got off flavors from fermenting too warmly. "It was that darn Campden stuff what did it!"

LOL most likely.
My water Co uses chloromine and campden has really helped. I just crush half a tab in my water and good to go.

...I add 1/2 tab (5 gallon batch) at the beginning of the boil.

My brew water has already been run through a filter for chlorine and such, but you cannot efficiently filter out chloramine.

It's my understanding that Campden tablets or Potassium Metabisulphite should be added to all the water before you brew with it, i.e., mash, sparge, steep, and top up water.

Yes i treat all water used for brewing. 1 campden tab can treat 20 gallons. I usually treat a 5 gallon cooler and the water in my kettle. That gives me plenty of good chloromine free water.

Back