Campden questions for raw cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
I've found a source for unpasteurized cider and am going to pick up a bunch in the next week or so. I've always used fresh pressed pasteurized cider until now so I need some advice about exactly how to use potassium metibisulfite. I know the rule of thumb is 1 tablet per gallon, but I just read a thread on here where someone was saying they aren't necessary and that if you do use them you only need "half(though they didn't say what that was) the usual amount" I'm planning on using 5.5 gallons per batch so I was thinking either 5 or 6 tablets would be good. Also do you put water in the airlock? I understand that the sulfite has to dissipate but I don't know if an airlock is advised. I'd prefer to have an airlock on so nothing can get in. I'm excited about finally trying unpasteurized juice but I don't wanna make vinegar or something that has a sulfite taste. The person in the thread says you need to age for months to have the sulfite taste wear off but I plan on having these bottled fairly quickly after a short secondary. Also are you supposed to add more Campden tabs when you transfer to secondary? Hoping a few people can give their advice.
Thanks in advance!

I don't use Campden, but rather I pasteurize the juice myself by bringing it up to about 160 F for about 15 minutes. My cider always turns out excellent. But...

If using Campden, I would recommend 6 tablets for 5.5 gallons.

It's not wrong to use Campden. I just prefer to pasteurize and stay chemical free. Does it make better cider one way or the other? Probably not. But, I sure love my cider my way.

The standard dosage for unpasteurized cider is 1/4 tsp k-meta for 5-6 gallons, or 1 crushed Campden tablet per Imperial gallon (they're British). This will give 50-60 ppm K-Meta. Ideally you would measure pH and adjust K-meta dosage accordingly (the values of that are published on the web), since the more acidic the cider is the less sulfite is needed. The 1/2 dose you've seen is probably with respect to doing a wild yeast ferment, as they aren't as resistant to sulfites as commercial yeast is. We typically wait 24 hrs after sulfiting before pitching yeast, and you can airlock after pitching if you wish.

Ok guys thanks for the info. What about when I rack to secondary, do I need to add additional sulphite like with wine? If so what would be the standard dose? I don't plan on aging for very long, maybe anywhere between 1-4 months in secondary.

I typically add sulfite at every other racking, same dosage. So at pitch, and after secondary when bottling or kegging.
Ok so I'll add another 1/4 teaspoon at bottling to each 5 gallons. Will this affect the bottle carbonation?

Also I'm a little concerned. I bought the unpasteurized cider frozen in 18L bags and have been thawing them for a couple days. But now there fairly close to being thawed(still have a block of ice floating in each bag and they're very cold) and I've noticed that there are little bubbles being produced which I assume is fermentation. Is it still ok to sulphite before pitching? I'm surprised they are bubbling considering they are so cold.

Latest posts

Back