Campden for storing water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
I've got 2 plastic 5 gallon water jugs like you refill at the grocery store. I just got some RO water from my neighbor for cutting my brewing water. I just finished a batch today and I'm wondering if I need to do anything special to the extra 10 gallons he gave me to store it for next time. It may be several weeks and I don't want to grow any nasties in it before I get around to using it. I plan to keep it in a dark place. Is that enough, or should I use Campden tablets or something?

I have some Campden tablets, but haven't ever used them. I've read one tab per gallon in fruit for wine, but one tablet per 20 gallons if using to rid water of chlorine/chloramine.

Should I use it?
How much should I use?
How long should it take?
Do I leave the lids on or off while it works it's magic?

Thanks in advance.:mug:

your going to boil that water you are storing anyway, right? I wouldn't worry about nasties. heat kills everything.

I'm sure the boil will kill the germs. I just don't want any off flavors. Seems like if I leave a glass of water out for a while it starts to taste nasty, but maybe keeping it enclosed and in the dark is the key.

A glass of tap water sitting around starts to taste bad because it goes flat (air comes out of solution) ad not because of bacteria or anthing.

Boil some water (driving off O2), let it cool, and taste it. It'll have the same taste as tap water that sat around.

Feel free to use the campden if you want. It can't hurt.

Back