Camlocks and Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
First off.. is there a difference between the two?

Secondly, why do people love these so much? You still need to take everything apart to clean done you? I'm just not seeing the benefit so I'm hoping someone could explain.

Thanks

Camlocks are a type of quick disconnect, not all quick disconnects are camlocks. The benefit? They are easy and quick to get on and off and switch around.

As opposed to what though? Sliding the tube off a barb? You would still need to take the tubing off the quick disconnect when you are all done to clean right? Also, which one is considered to be "better"?

In high pressure situations, sliding a barb over a hose isn't going to be tight enough. When you're using a pump, you need a firm connection. Whether a quick disconnect is "better" depends on what you're trying to do.

For example, my mash tun out is a barb fitting, it's just gravity feed and I can slip a hose on it to drain. My HLT has a camlock fitting because I pump water from my kettle up about six feet to get hot water up there. The fitting on my kettle is also a camlock fitting so that it can be utilized with the pump.

I use flare fittings so that I minimize the # of threads in the wort path. They are easy to connect/disconnect (for me) as well.

DSC00940-w.JPG

In high pressure situations, sliding a barb over a hose isn't going to be tight enough. When you're using a pump, you need a firm connection.

I'm not following. What else can you connect a hose to besides a barb?

Whether a quick disconnect is "better" depends on what you're trying to do.

I was referring to normal QD vs Camlock.. which is better?

For example, my mash tun out is a barb fitting, it's just gravity feed and I can slip a hose on it to drain. My HLT has a camlock fitting because I pump water from my kettle up about six feet to get hot water up there. The fitting on my kettle is also a camlock fitting so that it can be utilized with the pump.

So generally for gravity fed systems hose/barb is generally used? IE you only really need QD for pumps?

I'm not following. What else can you connect a hose to besides a barb?

I'm saying that rather than attaching a hose to a barbed permanently installed fitting, you can connect a hose to a disconnect, which can be useful in certain situations.

I was referring to normal QD vs Camlock.. which is better?

What do you mean by normal QD? There a several different types, better is really pretty subjective. I like the camlocks, but, really, they're the only thing I've ever used.

So the typical setup would be something like this on a hose:http://morebeer.com/view_product/9140/103848/Female_Stainless_Steel_Quick_Disconnect_w_Barb

and something like this on a ball valve: http://morebeer.com/view_product/8767/beerwinecoffee/MPT_Stainless_Steel_Male_Quick_Disconnect

Is that right? The reason I ask is because I don't see much benefit over having the barb directly on ball valve and connecting the tube to that.
IMHO, That is an excellent solution. Connecting and disconnecting can be done one handed. They will NOT leak and provide a very positive connection.

I think I got it. Do you have something similar to this clip?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the typical setup would be something like this on a hose:http://morebeer.com/view_product/9140/103848/Female_Stainless_Steel_Quick_Disconnect_w_Barb

and something like this on a ball valve: http://morebeer.com/view_product/8767/beerwinecoffee/MPT_Stainless_Steel_Male_Quick_Disconnect

Is that right? The reason I ask is because I don't see much benefit over having the barb directly on ball valve and connecting the tube to that.

Yes, the barbed fitting goes on the hose and the threaded one on a kettle, pump, HLT, mash tun, but it's all depending on what you're trying to accomplish. There are certain situations where having a disconnect is nice. However, you could also use barbed fittings with pumps and tighten down a hose clamp on each one before use. However, that is a pain and every time you need to move them it would be an even bigger pain.

Do you have a specific application you are wondering about? You don't NEED to use disconnects if they aren't necessary and/or add little to no convenience.

Do you have a specific application you are wondering about? You don't NEED to use disconnects if they aren't necessary and/or add little to no convenience.

No.. nothing in particular. Just trying to learn about all the different type of equipment as I'm knew to all this NPT, barb, bulkhead stuff. I have to admit I love all these "toys"

Well, I don't have those types of disconnects, I have camlocks, and I utilize a simpler cooler based tun and HLT setup.

Well I asked earlier what else there was besides barbs because you mentioned they weren't as tight. I'm guessing you were referring to something like the in the link where the tube is secured with a clamp. Now it makes sense because obviously that would be really annoying to remove each time

Well I asked earlier what else there was besides barbs because you mentioned they weren't as tight. I'm guessing you were referring to something like the in the link where the tube is secured with a clamp. Now it makes sense because obviously that would be really annoying to remove each time

Yeah, once you involved in a pressure situation, some sort of quick disconnect makes life 100 times easier, but slipping a hose onto a barb can be just fine for a lot applications.

Keep in mind that these or any other fittings can be designed to be taken off and on plenty of times with no wear and tear on the fitting or hose. If you are slipping a hose on and off a fitting every time you brew you will eventually tear the hose or end up having a leak especially with the temperature variation your hose is going through. Even the worm style hose clamps take a number on tubing loosening and tightening every time you brew.

Keep in mind that these or any other fittings can be designed to be taken off and on plenty of times with no wear and tear on the fitting or hose. If you are slipping a hose on and off a fitting every time you brew you will eventually tear the hose or end up having a leak especially with the temperature variation your hose is going through. Even the worm style hose clamps take a number on tubing loosening and tightening every time you brew.

Good point. Never thought about that one.

Back