Cam locks - do I need hose clamps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csantoni

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting all my barbed connections to cam locks (MLT/HLT/kettle). This may be a stupid question, but if I put the male ends in the vessels do I need a hose clamp to attach the female cam lock to my hose? Or does the female connector grip the hose sufficiently by itself?

I don't want to have to make two trips to the store for this so I'm trying to make a comprehensive list of all the parts I need.

I'm using 1/2" silicone over 5/8" barbed camlocks. I don't use hose clamps in either length.

The camlocks have differing barb lengths, about 1-5/8" and 5/8". The long barbs are very hard to remove, the shorter barbs can be removed with a serious tug.

I use both a Riptide and a 1/6 hp sump pump with the hoses, never had a hose come off in use.

For regular pump use, hose clamps are not strictly necessary with the low pressures. However, I often use them for other purposes, like I have a bib for cooling water and used a short run of tubing to run some water. When I opened the valve, the tubing blew… then I added clamps. ;)

I'm starting with gravity-fed transfers but want to upgrade-proof myself for if (when) I get a pump for rims/whirlpool/etc. I think I should be OK without clamps to start. Thanks for the replies!

iirc, my full ss clamps were $11 for a 10 pack - which is exactly how many I needed for a 3v2p herms rig.
Cheap insurance - honestly, I never, ever even think about blowing hoses on my rig, if not for threads like this one ;)

Cheers!

I’m slowly learning that trying to figure out “the best way” or even “the way most people” do something is just too subjective. I do really appreciate getting all the opinions, though. It helps me figure out what I want my way to be. Until I figure out a better way…

My general take on living: if there's a dead simple and fairly cheap way to bury an issue from mind, do it.
There will be plenty enough unexpected stuff to deal with to make up for it :D

Cheers!
I'm with you 100% on the hose clamps, but I'll never give up running with scissors.

Last edited:
On home brew forums you often see the exchange:

Person A: "Should I do ABC?"
Me: "I always do ABC. It is a good practice."
Person B: "I never do ABC, and I never have a problem."
Me: "Nobody has a problem, until they have a problem. Plan and prepare for the exception, not most or normal."

I use hose clamps on my cam lock fittings. Are they needed? No, I probably will never have a problem. But the cost of a handful of hose clamps is minor compared to the "cost" of hot wort spilling out in the middle of your brew day.

I too use clamps but I like the Oetiker Stepless Ear Clamps. A bit pricy but permanent solution.

We have a "permanent" manifold and generally never disconnect a hose while brewing. If not using clamps, I would suggest a 5/8" barb for a 1/2" hose. (We have had a hose disconnect once).

As a side, over the years, the hoses will crimp and fail at the connection to the barb eventually if you are moving hoses. We have some hoses that we do move between brews and for cleaning. After a number of years, they sprung a leak at the barb to hose connection. Been a while since that happens and it may have been un reinforced hose. We did switch to reinforced hose. The only un reinforced hose we use are for sight gauges on our HLT and Brew Kettles.

And I just remembered that we did not use clamps on the 3/4" hose between the vessel and the Pump. There is no pressure in that hose as it is the supply.

I use them sometimes. I prefer to use them, but there are some connections on my system that I unhook. Ive got a hard plumed system without camlocks in some places. Just a barb to tube.

Not all camlocks are created equal. Get the 5/8 barbs.

I use worm clamps on mine. Do look out for over tightening. The clamps can bite into the silicone if you over do it, creating a weak spot.

Edit: I’d suggest getting your camlocks from Bobby at brewhardware.com, and not from morebeer. Assuming you haven’t already bought them. I noticed the barb on one I got from more beer is designed to fit both 3/8 and 1/2 inch tubing. A clamp is a must for the morebeer camlock.

Last edited:
I use hose clamps, but I also take off the connectors regularly and clean the inside of the hose without the Quick Disconnects attached. To facilitate this, the hose clamps I use have a wing-nut style attachment so I don't need tools for getting them on or off. As was already mentioned, no one has a problem until they have a problem; I am also in the camp of not wanting to wear 5 gallons of hot wort, so I take precautions.

Like these:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Spyder-Turn-Key-All-Stainless-Clamp--516--58_p_7850.html
Good luck!

I guess you got hose clamps on your previous barbs, re-use them ... Stay on the safe side considering the low investment if you have to buy some.
My camlocks barbs are Ø 14mm (E type, and C type -1/2"
C type.png
) and the hose is also Ø 14mm, so I'll have SS hose clamps on them...

All my hose connections (camlock or otherwise) are mechanically secured in some form. As day_trippr said, I try to keep things simply and I don't know like the idea of being sprayed by hot wort.

I just got some oetiker clamps and the tool. Lower profile relative to worm gear clamp will save the knuckles. Quick return on the investment because the clamps are so much cheaper.

And yes, I do use clamps on all camlock hose connections.

Back