Calming down a Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopheadva

Reaction score
I made a Tripel recently (around 10% abv) and I think I left it on the trub too long. It's got a very alcoholy taste. I know letting it sit for a while should mellow it out a little, but are there any other tricks to taming a hot beer? I was thinking maybe adding some spices or dry hopping it maybe. It's in a keg currently and refrigerated.

It isnt from letting it on the cake to long, that imparts a different flavor not alcohol hotness. Unless you mean you wanted to stop fermentation prior to what you currently have. The alcohol taste will mellow in time as the beer matures which you already know so tuff it out for a month or two and come back to it.

Leaving it on the trub is no problema and will not give the beer a hot alcohol taste.

If you have a hot alcohol taste it probably is fusels. What yeast did you use?What temp did you ferment it at? How long did you ferment it?

It is often repeated here that Belgians like to be fermented hot. This is not true. They need to be temp controlled for the first part of fermentation. After that they do like to be warmed up to finish out.

Patience and time is the key to a great Tripel. My "Man Down!" Tripel is 13%. Time will take care of the hot alcohol taste. I usually age mine around 6 months, and all the hot flavors are gone by then, and it's just nice and mellow.

You can't rush perfect

I used the Wyeast Canadian/Belgian (Unibroue) yeast. Left it in the carboy for a little over a month. It was just at room temp the whole time around 68-70 deg. I don't have any temp control other than changing the thermostat. I'll just wait a month or so and check it again. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back