Californian: Where wine glasses aren't just for wine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weideshire

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm David Weidemann of San Jose, CA.

I'm quite impressed with the community here, which is cultivated not just by the participants' commitment and ingenuity, but is also fostered by the framework laid out by TxBrew in the Rules & Regulations.

I've brewed only one batch of beer. Three years ago my wife and I purchased a Mr. Beer ("Brings many a person into brewing." indeed.) kit at a mall store we were walking through to get to our vehicle, and tried out brewing our first batch according to the instructions. We included deviant things in certain bottles, such as crystallized ginger and cloves, and had a bottle explode within the cabinet we conditioned them in from over-priming. The crystallized ginger brew was the best, but even the simple golden ale recipe was superior to any macro brew I had ever tasted.

In my typical "I just bought a goldfish and put it in a little bowl, but now I'm so excited that tomorrow I go buy everything needed to run a reef aquarium with corals, anemone and fish!" mode of operation, I soon headed to a local home brewing supply (HBS) and got a more proper beginner's kit. Unfortunately for various reasons I never ended up able to brew, but I read John Palmer's How to Brew and it stimulated my interest in trying more beers as well as more local beers, of which there are plenty here in California.

I'm finally coming back to continue what I started in the home brewing arena, and am very excited to start my first 5 gallon batch next month when I have space for it all.

First craft beer ever tried: Mendocino Brewing Company's Eye of the Hawk.
Current breweries I'm enjoying most: Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales; Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales.

Drink-wise I enjoy beer, wine, and sipping liquors.

So grab that Napa Valley wine glass and fill it with a craft brew, because the complexity and care in the craft brewing community is every bit as amazing as the wines available here, and probably push the boundaries much farther.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO. The best beers are easily as complex as the best wines, in my experience, and I'm a pretty serious wine geek.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO. The best beers are easily as complex as the best wines, in my experience, and I'm a pretty serious wine geek.
Thanks for the warm welcome, and props on your state having one of the winningest scores in the 2013 GABF! 19 golds, 10 silvers and 17 bronzes is amazing!

What are your 3 favorite / recommended CO breweries at the moment?

What are your 3 favorite / recommended CO breweries at the moment?

I hate that question because it's like picking your favorite kid.

I always love O'Dells, Left Hand just released their Fade to Black, an absolute favorite, and not to sound "groupy" but I really really like Crooked Stave's creative brews. But I could name 10 more I deeply love. :mug:

Hi Weid
San Jose is a nice town and I love the weather there..I almost moved there and Sunnyvale. Real estate is very expensive over there and you're fortunate if you live in a house instead of a condo or apt over there..But I have chatted with people on on the forum that have some neat tricks for brewing in tight quarters. Even all electric all grain brewing.. We all have our own obstacles and this forum has been most helpful in finding ways to get around some of mine ..Cheers to you

I hate that question because it's like picking your favorite kid.
Agreed, that's why I say "at the moment," as in your 3 most recent favorite or interesting breweries. Otherwise it would cause people's heads to explode.
Welcome neighboor...
Santa Rosa rep yo krew! I acquired some good chainsaws from Santa Rosa so I have fond memories. :) What are your CURRENT favorites in the area? You must have some decent local crafts.
Hi Weid

San Jose is a nice town and I love the weather there..I almost moved there and Sunnyvale. Real estate is very expensive over there and you're fortunate if you live in a house instead of a condo or apt over there..But I have chatted with people on on the forum that have some neat tricks for brewing in tight quarters. Even all electric all grain brewing.. We all have our own obstacles and this forum has been most helpful in finding ways to get around some of mine ..Cheers to you
It is indeed expensive, I'm in an apartment and the apartment rents are rising as well. My first 5 gallon will be a Belgian-style partial grain batch, but I look forward to trying all-grain as well.

I will look for your referenced space-saving tips, but if you recall any thread titles please do mention them so I can figure this thing out.

Back