Calgary breweries/brewpubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHopper

Reaction score
Trying to continue my tradition of tasting at least one local beer from cities I have to visit as part of my work/travel. Will be in Calgary in August, and was wondering if there are breweries or brewpubs in the city, preferably near the University of Calgary (where I will be staying)/downtown area?

Well the university isnt near downtown. The LRT is close and gets you downtown quick though.
Kilkenneys near the UofC has lots of beer on tap, not a brewhouse though.
Brewhouse pubs D/T:
Hudsons Tap house ... !
Brewsters !!!
Craft Beer Market !!!

My personal favorite is Brewsters which has locations all over town. There's also brew brothers which I THINK brews beside the Amsterdam Rhino (which also sells Brew Brothers) downtown, and the Wild Rose brewery, but Wild Rose is a little south.

If you're in town during the week I would recommend taking a tour of the Big Rock brewery. They usually run tours tues-wed-thurs, and last time I went I think it was like $25 to go, and you get a 6 pack + samples out of that.

Edit: I've never been, but I hear the Craft Beer Market downtown is fantastic.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Craft Beer Market, their service is appalling, the beer list is totally unimpressive and the place is packed with bros. Big Rock wont blow you away but are an important figure in the scene. Wild Rose does good things for our city, and Village Brewery is starting to produce tasty stuff too (try their Wit). Your best bets for good beer downtown are:

- Hop n Brew (the best)
- Beer Revolution (good pizza, good beer list)
- National Beer Hall (kinda meh but maybe worthwhile)
- Wurst (lots of German stuff on tap, good German food)

Best beer stores:
- Kensington wine market
- Willow Park Liquor
- Bin 905

Calgary is one of the few cities in north america where you can buy Cantillon off the shelf, so I'd recommend that! I live in the downtown core, drop me a line and we can meet up for some homebrews/beers. Cheers!

Brewpubs: Wildrose (this is prob the best brewery in calgary and an award winning known Canadian craft brewer), Brewsters (its a chain, it somewhat resembles a brewpub depending on who you ask :p)
Pubs: Beer Revolution, Craft Beer Market

Back