Cacao nibs / lactose query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthbogart

Reaction score
This right here is my first ever brewing forum post. Took me long enough.

I'm about to make an altered version of this recipe. I made the recipe as is (swapping the LME for DME) last year, and it was quite successful. This time around, I'm going to be taking my first tentative steps into the world of brewing experimentation by using cacao nibs and maybe lactose.

What's a standard amount of nibs to throw in there for a 5-gallon recipe? I've read that one typically adds them like dry hops, during secondary. Should I mill them at all? Or are they sufficiently small on their own?

Also, since I'm trying to bring out the chocolate flavor profile, how else might I achieve this? I thought perhaps upping the amount of chocolate malt in the steeping grains? Thoughts?

As far as the lactose, I've never brewed with it either- I had an inkling that it might help bring the chocolate sweetness out. At the same time, though, I don't want the beer to be too sweet. I really just want a little sweetness and a nice smooth mouthfeel, which I believe lactose is supposed to provide as well.

Any thoughts or advice on the matter would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Just so you know, that recipe isn't really schwartzbier-esque at all, but it looks like a good stout.

Cacao nibs are pretty small, but you'll want to soak them in some neutral spirit like vodka not only to sanitize them, but also to help extract all the chocolaty goodness. Then just toss the nibs and vodka all in (this won't significantly affect your ABV- don't worry). My chocolate stout has 8oz and I think that's great (but it also has cocoa powder in the boil- very chocolaty).

Chocolate malt as a steeping grain is a great idea, and it's already in your recipe. A half pound should be tasty, a full pound will give you more flavor and a lot more roast character. As for lactose, it will definitely lend a milky sweetness to your chocolate stout. Mine uses 12 oz in 6 gallons, though a pound in 5 gallons is very common.

Chocolate malt only describes the color, not the flavor. I agree that 8 oz into the secondary is great, but check it every couple days because they can get bitter after a week. The lactose will make it a chocolate milk stout. Nothing wrong with that!

Yeah, I don't know why they kept that title considering it's an ale. When we brewed it last time, it had a good stout flavor, but a much thinner body.

How much vodka do you soak the nibs in? Just enough to cover I presume?

Yeah, I don't know why they kept that title considering it's an ale. When we brewed it last time, it had a good stout flavor, but a much thinner body.

How much vodka do you soak the nibs in? Just enough to cover I presume?

Yup- check on it, though, as they will absorb a bit.

Back