c02 regulator connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a regulator at a flea market a while back and finally got around to installing it. However, when I turn the pressure up, I hear and feel a leak from the cylinder to regulator connection.

So, I want to take it apart and put some pipe threading on it and reattach to fix, but... I can't get it off, looking closer, it has some green stuff in the thread, pic attached, is this some kind of piping glue that I can't get rid of? If so, what can I use to seal the leak if i can't get the connection off? thanks any help appreciated.

just be aware that depending on regulator it may be left hand thread. The loctite is tough stuff, but it will eventually break loose with a big enough wrench.

I wouldn't trust a loctite patch job to keep from dumping a tank of CO2. Gas pressure is an unrelenting force and it WILL find a way to escape.

True, will try to do it right and take it off if i can, this valve is directly from the c02 tank (the in), does that mean it is likely to be left hand thread?

Thanks for the tips.

When I had to unscrew a gauge from my regulator, I zip-tied it down to a 2x4 with a bunch of zip-ties and that gave me the leverage I needed to be able to wrench it off.

Pretty sure the green stuff is pipe thread compound, aka "pipe dope", which shouldn't harden, though I could be mistaken. Are you sure the leak is at that connection and not where the reg attaches to the CO2 tank? I believe some regulators require one of these between the regulator and the tank. Not sure if yours does, though, or if you have one and it's still leaking. Just a thought.

Thanks all, yeah it is definitely coming from the threading piece into the regulator. Only when pressure is above 15'ish though, noticeably. could be slow leaking below that mark.

You might need a vice. I used a ratchet and had to tap the wrench with a hammer to get it to give. Is it leaking out of the back? IF so you might need to replace the diaphragm. I had to do that with one of my regualtors

Cheers Steve, pretty sure it is coming from that threading where the green stuff is. Pain that this is the only thread that uses that stuff. I'll hit my neighbors up for a vise, thanks.

Back