C02 adding a second gauge for different pressure(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in, I am getting to know my new (used) Kegerator. It holds 3 kegs, I always have a Stout on hand and would like that less carbed than my IPA and Blonde. What is the least expensive way to add to this?
I found this but was wondering if I needed to blow another half yard (50.00) on this?
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843627.htm?CartID=4
Thanks for the advice.

Pics of what I have now

Attachments

• co2 1.JPG
    co2 1.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 32
  • co2 2.JPG
    co2 2.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 32
If you want two different service pressures, you will need two regulators. I cant tell what brand that regulator is in your pic so I cant be sure of compatible parts and the practicality of adding a secondary to it. Remember, it will need a higher pressure supply and this is typically received closer to tank pressures.

By the time you buy the required parts, you may wind up being close enough to get a dual body regulator like this one.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a dual body for the kegerator and keep that single body for use with a smaller 5lb CO2 cylinder. The spare cylinder is great for moving beer between kegs and other uses too. And, its also handy if you ever want to bring a keg somewhere else and serve from a picnic tap or jockey box. That and to use as a standby should you run out of CO2 in your kegerator for one of several reasons.

Last edited:
Adding a single secondary in this scenario wouldn't work, the differential pressure required by the secondary regulator (typically 5 psi minimum) could require the primary pressure to be set too high to be useful for maintaining carbonation of a typical ale.

Taprite sells the basis of an "add a body" primary regulator. One would just need to obtain the proper nipple to couple it to an existing primary, removing the far-side high-pressure plug from the Taprite body and relocating the existing pressure gauge to that end of the resulting gang to make room for the coupling nipple...

Cheers!

Nagorg, Thank you on that, I was shopping last night and found, as mentioned a taprite as I have now, but called a secondary.
Prob down the road I will get an understanding the value of the spare Regulator.
"The spare cylinder is great for moving beer between kegs"

Day Trip, Now with the mention of too low pressure down the line to ever get it to be stable... Instead of 46.00 for the secondary, plus nipples and so forth I will just get the dual unit for 55.00 I found that same one Nagorg shared for 55.00 on the Bay

Thanks again for the advice and not spending the money wrong. Cheers!

Yes, but as mentioned above by the time you buy a single, add nipples and so forth, might as well get a double and save the single for something I am sure I will soon learn about. Thanks for help Shakes

Back