BYO Stone RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made this? I am contemplating brewing it but I am somewhat dubious of the recipe. The grain bill is 2 row pale, amber, black roasted barley, and black patent. No crystal whatsoever. Does that seem right, the lack of crystal?

Thanks...

I think many homebrewers are too reliant on crystal. I did an Imperial Stout inspired by Courage a couple years back, pale/amber/brown/black and candi syrup, turned out great I think. I have no idea how accurate the recipe is, but give it a try and see how it turns out.

IMHO, an imperial brew recipe should steer clear of crystal malt if possible. The high OG will likely contribute to a high FG, so why increase unfermentable content?

the stone clone recipe I have shows 3/4oz crystal 120-L. I have never tryed to make it yet ( one of my all time fav's though) From what I have read it is a simple grain bill as is most of the stone brews are. And yes I think no crystal would be fine

sub-zero, is the stone recipe you reference for their Russian Imperial Stout? Where did you get the recipe? Mind sharing so I can compare? Thanks.

It is on hopville under the title (I stole this record stone) I think I found it here or on hopville I can't remember now. let me know if you find it if not I will post it here for you

I have made the BYO recipe and is 10 months old now and tasted pretty darn good. The only thing I was baffled with afterward was why they suggest using WLP002, I think their house strain is very similar to WLP007 and would use that instead.

Humann, have you made any other RIS clones? Which do you prefer?

Another question about this beer...

The recipe calls for 1.25 lbs of Roasted Barley? Does that seem super high, perhaps erroneously, for even a RIS?

The recipe also calls for 0.5 lbs of Black Patent Malt. Perhaps the quantity of Roasted Barley and Black Patent Malt was reversed?

About to brew this bad boy and want it to come out right. If you have any experience with this BYO Stone RIS recipe I would appreciate it.

No, the quantities seem about right to me. Black Patent has a very acrid, bitter flavor and should be used in small quantities. I wouldn't add over a pound of Black Patent to a 15 gallon batch, much less a 5 gallon one. The roasted barley is a bit on the high side, but this is a big, bad beer.

No, the quantities seem about right to me. Black Patent has a very acrid, bitter flavor and should be used in small quantities. I wouldn't add over a pound of Black Patent to a 15 gallon batch, much less a 5 gallon one. The roasted barley is a bit on the high side, but this is a big, bad beer.

I used .94 lbs of black patent in a 4 gallon batch of historic imperial stout, and didn't get any harsh/acrid flavors. The key is having enough alkalinity (from either chalk or baking soda) in your water to prevent the pH from dropping.

Back