Bye Bye Kettlescreen from my Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought a Kettlescreen would filter out a lot of the hops and dregs before draining into the carboy.
Instead, after about a gallon, it completely clogged and needed constant scraping and stirring to get any flow.
Plus, it forced the wort chiller a couple of inches out of the wort.

Lesson learned. I'm gonna just stir the wort to get the dregs to collect in the middle of the pot when draining.

Yeah, i tried this when I first went all grain. I gave up after about 5 clog filled minutes. Get good at racking and let your secondary sit in as cool a place as possible and don't move it before racking off the trub and you'll have some very clear beer. Still will be hazy, use a little gelatin if you're kegging and you'll be very happy with the results. Or just start making a lot of unfiltered wheat beers =)

Yeah, I just got a couple 6G carboys to go with the 5G. I'm gonna start using a secondary. I figure that it will help open up the 6G for more beer and the kit directions from Northern and AHB both call for secondary fermentation.

I just got a funnel with a screen, and ran into the same problem. Basically I had to stop racking (yeah I rack instead of pour since its less messy) and constantly stir the funnel to get a collection, then scoup it all out.

First time was a disaster... so what I did the second time I used it, I let the wort sit in my pot for 20-30minutes with the lid on, PRIOR to transferring it. That way a lot of it settled to the bottom... was much easier to transfer through the filter this way, I think I only had to stop it 3 times as opposed to the first time I couldn't' even tell you how long that took.

Also, I wonder.. does it even matter in terms of how the beer tastes if you leave all that crap in the primary and just let it settle to the bottom? Curious if filtering is even necessary... it makes me feel better when I do it, but boy is it a lot of extra work.

Also, I wonder.. does it even matter in terms of how the beer tastes if you leave all that crap in the primary and just let it settle to the bottom? Curious if filtering is even necessary... it makes me feel better when I do it, but boy is it a lot of extra work.

I was wondering the same thing.

From my limited experience, but lots of reading of others' experiences, it really does not matter whether you dump everything from kettle to fermentor, or leave the break material and hops behind.

Latest posts

Back