Buying some stuff right now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBuddha

Reaction score
Well, Im going into my second batch of beer and have found me some ingredients.

I just bought a turkey fryer, burner and all that the other day and was just trying to figure out what to upgrade next? I have the basic kit (plastic buckets, etc...) and since Im ordering the ingredients from online Id like to go ahead and get something else while Im paying shipping.

Id like to get a glass carboy but I can probably get that locally.

Basically Id just like to upgrade something but not sure what...

Skip the carboy. IMHO, they're only good for looks. But, by looking at what you're brewing before you have a lot of experience, you're going to think there's something going wrong more often. I always suggest not looking at it. Either way...plastic works just fine. I've been using it for years.

Top 3 upgrades in order of importance (my opinions)
1. Pot large enough to do full boils
2. Wort Chiller
3. A way to keep fermentation temps consistant

All three of these things will improve the quality of your beer at a price that's worth every penny. Wort chillers and Fermentation chambers can be built for very cheap.

Thanks. My pot is 30 quart so Im good there...

I thought about the wort chiller and some sort of temp. thing but they are pretty expensive. What would you recommend on keeping the temp consistent?

Im buying from www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

+1 to SC1884 suggestions, thankfully someone made the same suggestions when I asked the same question months ago and it has made a considerable difference.

+1 to not using the glass carboy. Primary is great from start to bottle. But if you do decide to secondary I would personally recomment a Better Bottle. Good luck! Glad to see the enthisiasm. :mug:

Oh and as far as an upgrade, Id say get some more primaries, that way you can have a steady line of beer and never have to pay again. Also having more primaries allows you to let it to stand longer before bottling, enhancing the beer.

You're definitely further ahead equipment wise then I was at my second batch!

What about:

A nice thermometer
better bottle for secondary if you go that route
wort chiller if you don't want to diy

Oh and as far as an upgrade, Id say get some more primaries, that way you can have a steady line of beer and never have to pay again. Also having more primaries allows you to let it to stand longer before bottling, enhancing the beer.

Thats a great idea. Thanks!

Actually, it appears I wont be buying tonight... Apparently he doesnt accept Paypal anymore so Ill have to wait 3 days for my funds to transfer... Ugh... Guess Ill be lookin for some local stuff and, possibly, doing some DIY.

Thanks for all the input!

My turkey fryer came w/ a thermometer. Would I need to get a different kind?

+1 to not using the glass carboy. Primary is great from start to bottle. But if you do decide to secondary I would personally recomment a Better Bottle. Good luck! Glad to see the enthisiasm. :mug:

Second more primaries. If you're mainly looking for something to add to your kit order, add another kit & a primary / airlock & get set up to have 2 batches going together. That was my first reaction on reading the OP anyway. :tank:

Edit:
My turkey fryer came w/ a thermometer. Would I need to get a different kind?
I use the thermometer that came with my fryer & it seems to be pretty accurate. There are more sophisticated ways to go, but many of the "best" suggestions I've seen are $100+ investments that it seems are better made further down the road.

I do like that idea... Im thinkin about doing a DIY "kit" this time around.

If you want improve your beers...look into my suggests. If you're just looking to expand your equipment, then others have made good suggestions. An autosiphon is also a great investment.

If you're interested anymore in the fermentation chamber, google a thing called "Son of Fermentation Chiller".

Back