Buying Liquid yeast online/shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewerB

Reaction score
I was about to buy three extract kits from
Austin homebrew supply and was planning on getting the upgraded white labs tabs w/ a ice pack so they don't get hot as well as a yeast fuel nutrient pack. It is Easter weekend so I called the shop to make sure it was going to be alright in the ice pack with the 5 day shipping plus the long Easter weekend.
The man at Austin baupply

The reality is the ice pack will be shot by the time you get it. But, at least with the pack it has a head start before it gets warm. Even so, I've never had a problem making a starter with liquid yeast when I've bought it on line. Even in the dead of summer. So, I'd say give it a go. But if the local shop has it....why risk a dollar? Remember....for liquid yeast, you should make a starter....no matter what.

The man at Austin supply continued to tell me that it should be alright and that he has seen yeast be sent to Canada two weeks away and being alright, but then said he's had cases where he brought it home from the store and pitched the yeast and had it not work.
This got me scared especially with the 3 day weekend plus shipping.
What should I do? Add the yeast w I've pack?
Send kit without yeast and buy from local shop for 1$~more?
Will the yeast fuel be ok for the trip or is it the same scenario? Also what is the benefit of the yeast fuel??
Cheers!

The man at Austin supply continued to tell me that it should be alright and that he has seen yeast be sent to Canada two weeks away and being alright, but then said he's had cases where he brought it home from the store and pitched the yeast and had it not work.
Will the yeast fuel be ok for the trip or is it the same scenario? Also what is the benefit of the yeast fuel??
Cheers!

The one in bold. Why would you risk it not making it for $1?

Might be worth it to check your LHBS to see if they have the yeast and buy it from them. I have a feeling that is what I'll be doing this summer once if finally warms up around here.

I only bought liquid yeast once online. It was many years ago before I discovered the local Homebrew Store. It was a WLP strain for a stout, however I don't recall which strain, I believe I ordered it from Midwest. It arrived with my grain warm which I wasn't too thrilled about. My hydrometer that came with my first kit was broken so I wasn't able to check my gravity, but the beer definitely fermented. As long as the yeast is fresh it should be viable. Even Homebrew Stores receive their yeast through the mail.

Give it ago, I'm sure most sites would be happy to assist you with any problems that might arise.

Cheers!

Honestly, I think you should support your local Homebrew shop, even if the yeast is $1 more there. My local Homebrew shop actually sells most ingredients @ cost of major online retailers or lower.

The only time I would not recommend supporting your local Homebrew Shop is if it's run by a jerk. There's two shops in my area, one that recently opened up, and the other that's been around for years. The new shop is run by jerks, it only took me one visit to secure my business with the one that's been around.

Only time I've had an issue with liquid yeast was last summer, when an order with 3 kits got shipped to my old address in VA, instead of my CO address. It took 3 weeks in ~100 degree heat to make it to me. Austin sent me out new yeast just to make me feel better. 1 of the 3 vials didn't survive, the other 2 had a starter going in no time. this time of year, you have nothing to worry about.

Go for it, I have ordered yeast many times online and never had a problem, just got a Wyeast Denny's favorite and the ice pack was barely cold, made a big starter and the beer is bubbling like mad. I always prefer my LHBS, but he doesn't carry Wyeast.

I had about a dozen vials/paks of yeast shipped. None in the middle of summer. None had the ice pak (it didn't seem worth it), all arrived fine.

I can't say 100% that yours will be fine, but my experience says you should be ok, and the ice pak is not needed.

I've used yeast from online sources and found the results a mixed bag. Definitely a concern during the summer shipping season (the back of those UPS trucks get hot).

Now I order ingredients online and then pick up the appropriate yeast from my LHBS a couple of days before I brew.

Also gives you flexibility as to when you decide to brew.

Viable yeast is too important to the beer to risk it just to save a couple of bucks or a drive to your LHBS.

I went with supporting my local brew shop and not taking the risk.
My LHBS sells white labs and wyeast for 50cents more and I wanted to add some dry hopes to the kits recipe anyway! Thank you all for your input, from now on I will probley just add the yeast on the kit tab I was mainly just concerned with the long weekend and flat rate shipping. Thanks again!
Cheers!

Back