Buying a brew kettle for AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing 5 gal batches and currently use a propane burner. I might eventually move to 10 gal, but for now just 5 gal. I've got a 60 qt igloo MLT with a cpvc manifold and SS ball valve setup. Which kettle to go with and why?

depends what your budget is.

I do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle, so I have the ability to 10 gallon batches too if I want. At first, I went the "cheap" route. My MLT (former boil kettle) is a bayou classic which I added a sightglass, thermometer, and ball valve to. My new boil kettle is what I would consider mid-upper range. It's a SS brewtech 15gal kettle. If money is no object, then you could go with a "high end" blichmann kettle.

The concord 15 gallon is a nice pot for under a hundred shipped. Check eBay, the run sales occasionally as well.

I agree with the Concord 15 gallon. I went with the tri-clad bottom to minimize scorching. Not sure it's needed, but I went with the upgrade.

I'm a big fan of Stout kettles, you can get site glass, whirlpool, or electric element ports. Also their boil kettles all have a pie pan bottom to hold back all the crap you don't want after whirlpooling. Buy once cry once!

The specific choice of kettle depends on how much you want to spend and what features you want. Do you need a sight glass, thermometer, sanitary fillings and/or a bunch of other hardware? Or do you want just a basic pot? For a 5 gallon boil, I'd get a minimum 8 gallon pot.
I do 5 gallon batches in a simple brew pot with no extras, use an immersion chiller and just dump from the kettle to the carboy.
Some people like to hook up hoses, pumps and whirlpool gadgets; everyone has their own wants, needs and desires, so its up to you and your wallet.

I agree with the Concord 15 gallon. I went with the tri-clad bottom to minimize scorching. Not sure it's needed, but I went with the upgrade.

How are the handles on the concord? They look like they could pop off, and I read on ebay that they leak near the bottom. Maybe it's just my crappy vision.

Whatever brand you go with, I strongly suggest you get a kettle with a tri-clad bottom and get one slightly bigger than you think you'll need. This is from someone who is on their third kettle now :D

I started with an aluminum turkey fryer, but wasn't happy with how flimsy it was when I added a ball valve. I then got a Bayou Classic which was much sturdier, but wasn't happy how dark all of my batches were coming out. I finally got a SS Brewtech last year and couldn't be happier. I also love how it came pre-drilled for a whirlpool arm and thermowell. The build quality is top-notch.

It all depends on your budget too, but I'd suggest looking at any of the better known brands - SS Brewtech, Spike, Anvil, Blichman or BrewBuilt. They cost more, but a good kettle will last you a lifetime of brewing!

+1 on SS Brewtech. I chose between a SS Brewtech and Spike. I got a 10g SS Brewtech and really like it. It's nice that it comes out of the box ready to brew at $180. It was better for my budget and the additional things I wanted to add. I thought about getting a Concord and doing a DIY ball valve, but in the end I didn't have the time or additional equipment and wanted to make sure it was done right. I thought the SS Brewtech pots are a good value for a pot made for brewing and already provides the ability to add on in the future. Its awesome to have gallon markings on the pot. Add some camlock fittings and silicone tubing to make transfer easy from the ball valve.

I have no problem paying Spike or SS Brewtech (or any other company) a premium to provide a quality product that fits my needs. In the end, we just need a pot that makes beer and fits our budget. Do we have to spend this much on a pot? No, but some of the features they provide can make brewing easier and save us the pain of setting the pot up ourselves with the same features.

You should check out Spike's bargain cave right now. There are a couple deals on there right now if you can get to it in time. I probably would've pulled the trigger on the 10g with 2 couplers for $170 if it was available back then!

Back