Buttery Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
No, this isn't a question about diacetyl. If you wanted to get a buttery flavor in a beer (without relying on unabsorbed diacetyl), how would you do it? Extra points for something that would resemble browned butter. TIA.

How about toasting some milk powder, like they do for butterscotch? That will both cause the flavor and darken it a little. You could use nonfat milk powder to avoid the fats that will kill the head.

Wouldn't introducing actual dairy impact the shelf life?
Would love to read that which is heretofore unwritten on this curious idea :)

Cheers!

Could you use an emulsifier?

I dunno. What are you thinking?

Butter extract.

edit - you can make brown butter first and then make your extract from that.

I actually had (and still have) some "butter" extract on order. But if it turns out to be not great, I'm looking for more ideas. How would you suggest making an extract from the brown butter?

I like the idea, but it appears to be ~86% fat, which is a little concerning.

Fat wash browned butter, maybe. Haven't tried it but might work.

I've never fat washed anything per se. Easy?

How would you suggest making an extract from the brown butter?
Brown a stick of butter. Add half a cup of water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Once it's cooled, squeeze the water out of the butter.

I also did see a couple of brown butter flavor extracts that claim to be water soluble, but I didn't dig too deeply on those.

I dunno. What are you thinking?
Lecithin. it helps disperse and maintain oil in suspension of water. it might require agitatin to establish suspension but it might work.

It could be used with brown butter or clear.
Food grade is available on Amazon.

I am pretty sure the results would be cloudy but you might be able to incorporate the taste.
You should be able to test it on a can of commercial brew, you wouldn't have to go through the whole brew process and put a batch at risk.

I've never fat washed anything per se. Easy?
Yep. I've done bacon a few times for cocktails. Cook the bacon, drain off the fat, add the fat to vodka (about 3 vodka to 1 fat ratio)in a wide-ish mouth, straight sided jar/container with a lid. Set it somewhere at room temperature for a week or so, shaking it daily. Put it in the freezer to solidify the fat on top of the vodka, remove the frozen fat cap carefully, strain the vodka. Add bacon vodka to cocktails, etc. Works with any spirit; bacon bourbon makes a great Old Fashioned. I imagine this will work with butter, too.

Last edited:
1708653418303.png

😁

ChatGPT had a few additional ideas:

You
I would like to brew a batch of beer that has a buttery flavor not from diacetyl but from an addition to the brew that will give a buttery flavor. Ideas?

ChatGPT
Creating a buttery flavor in beer without relying on diacetyl can be a creative challenge. Diacetyl is a natural byproduct of fermentation and is often considered a flaw in beer when present in excessive amounts. If you want to intentionally introduce a buttery flavor, you might consider alternative ingredients or techniques. Here are a few suggestions:
  1. Butter-Flavored Extracts or Oils:
    • You can experiment with small amounts of butter-flavored extracts or oils. However, be cautious with the quantity, as these can be potent, and too much could overwhelm the beer.
  2. Butterwort Herb:
    • Pinguicula, commonly known as butterwort, is an herb with a buttery flavor. You might try adding a small amount of dried butterwort to your brew. Keep in mind that not all herbs are safe for consumption, so do thorough research before using any.
  3. Oak Aging:
    • Aging the beer with oak chips or barrels can impart a subtle buttery flavor. This is due to compounds like diacetyl and other byproducts of fermentation interacting with the wood. Use oak sparingly, as it can easily overpower the beer.
  4. Adjuncts:
    • Consider using adjuncts that are known for their buttery or creamy characteristics. For example, oats are known to contribute a smooth and creamy mouthfeel to beer. Flaked barley or wheat may also be considered.
  5. Yeast Selection:
    • Some yeast strains produce esters or compounds during fermentation that can give a buttery flavor. English ale yeast strains, for example, are known for producing diacetyl, but this may not be enough for a noticeable buttery flavor.
  6. Butter-Infused Alcohol:
    • Infusing a small amount of a butter-flavored spirit (like butter-infused vodka) into the beer before bottling could potentially impart a buttery note.
Remember, it's crucial to start with small amounts and gradually increase to achieve the desired flavor without overwhelming the beer. Also, keep detailed notes during the brewing process to understand how each addition affects the final product. It's always a good idea to share experimental batches with friends for additional feedback.

Yes, I've had over-oaked chardonnays that were screaming butter-ish flavor.
Not my thing, but it does point out a possibility that doesn't involve putting actual dairy in beer...

Cheers!

Back