Burner Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the King Kooker patio carts that has two burners, the lower burner works fine.
BTW- Mine isn't naked like this, it's all covered with "bling" diamond plate and has worked great up until recently.
brew stand.jpeg

The upper burner is one of the kind that has about a four inch opening like the one below.
It used to "roar" when it was on and worked great.
For while now, it just "burns gas" and provides moderate heat, also lost of soot on the bottom of the kettle.
I have cleaned the throat of it to make sure that there were no bug nests in there, and have tried adjusting the air flow thing at the end to no avail.

burner.jpg

What do I need to do to get it working correctly again?
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thx.

There is a very fine orifice in that brass fitting where the gas connects.
It could be obstructed. I cannot recommend sticking anything through there but you could try blowing air through the FITTING ONLY from the burner side. I.E. remove it from the burner and the hose and use compressed air. If you do decide to stick anything through the tiny hole be careful not to enlarge it as this will play havoc with your burner mixture.
You should be able to see clearly through the fitting if it is clear.

I have one of the King Kooker patio carts that has two burners, the lower burner works fine.
BTW- Mine isn't naked like this, it's all covered with "bling" diamond plate and has worked great up until recently.
View attachment 754826
The upper burner is one of the kind that has about a four inch opening like the one below.
It used to "roar" when it was on and worked great.
For while now, it just "burns gas" and provides moderate heat, also lost of soot on the bottom of the kettle.
I have cleaned the throat of it to make sure that there were no bug nests in there, and have tried adjusting the air flow thing at the end to no avail.

View attachment 754825

What do I need to do to get it working correctly again?
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thx.
The soot is likely due to having a bad air adjustment resulting in a yellow flame.
If the flame is not light blue that could be the problem causing the soot.

The soot is likely due to having a bad air adjustment resulting in a yellow flame.
If the flame is not light blue that could be the problem causing the soot.

I kinda figured that.
It's definitely not blue like it used to be.

I'll try to run some compressed air though it in the next few days after it warms up a bit.

Agreed it sounds like something is still blocking.

Another thought is the regulator, maybe not allowing the gas out of the tank, assuming it's a tank being used. It could be faulty, or not turned on in the right sequence (that is, if a downstream valve was already open when the tank was opened).

I kinda figured that.
It's definitely not blue like it used to be.

I'll try to run some compressed air though it in the next few days after it warms up a bit.
And clean the gas orifice!
You'd need a needle for that, or a very narrow diameter drill bit. Back in the days we cleaned our gaslamp orifices with a horse hair. Or when in a pinch, a suitable size bristle from a broom.

If you look at the top pic, the regulator attaches to the tank, then goes to a T and "pin valves" go to each burner.

In the past, if I had opened one of the pin valves before opening the bottle, it would happen and I would just shut everything down close all valves, open the bottle valve and all would be good.

And clean the gas orifice!
You'd need a needle for that, or a very narrow diameter drill bit. Back in the days we cleaned our gaslamp orifices with a horse hair. Or when in a pinch, a suitable size bristle from a broom.

I just bought a new drill bit set with some tiny bits in it so I will try that as well.

If your smallest drill bit is too large, you can use a twist tie from a loaf of bread etc, remove the plastic of paper from the wire. If that is too narrow, green florist’s wire (Michaels, hobby lobby) comes in a few different diameters, one of which might work.

If your smallest drill bit is too large, you can use a twist tie from a loaf of bread etc, remove the plastic of paper from the wire. If that is too narrow, green florist’s wire (Michaels, hobby lobby) comes in a few different diameters, one of which might work.
A welding tip cleaner might be a good bet.

I just want to provide feedback and thank all that provided input.

I used a piece of CAT5 cable to poke the orifice, my smallest drill bit was too big, and used a can of compressed air both.
Then turned on the gas with it disconnected from the burner for a few seconds, hooked it back up and have the familiar roar and blue flame.

:rock: :bigmug::bigmug::thumbsup:

Back