Burner parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sily_rabit

Reaction score
I picked up an Eastman turkey fryer kit from craigslist today. Was new, but been sitting for years. Looked to have all the parts, so I bought it.

Problem is there isn't an orifice included with the kit. It also looks like the hose isn't the stock hose. The one shown in the manual has a ball valve and regulator. This hose has a regulator one end and the other end is 3/8 female flare.

My original intention was to drill out the propane orifice and replace the regulator hose with a quick connect hose to use with my natural gas connection. But I don't have an orifice or any method to connect a hose to burner.

The burner appears to be about 1/4" thread, not sure. I see that I can order a propane orifice like this one. The fitting looks to be correct size.
bc5235_propane_orifice.jpg

I also, see that a conversion fitting is available from williamsbrewing that also includes a ball valve. I'd like to try this one, but the orifice side looks like it may be too big for my burner. Hard to tell by the picture.
Q86.JPG

I'm not sure which way to go? Has anyone used the converter fitting with this burner? The burner looks like this.
178832408_4c19a6e67b.jpg

Here is a picture of the burner.

burner.jpg

Here is a picture of where the orifice attaches. This would also be covered by a rotating vent.

orifice.jpg

I can't answer your question, but one of my friends has a stock Eastman burner/stand exactly like that one. IMO, it's an excellent burner. They are very efficient and permit precise flame control too. I don't know why, but they are not very well known. I tried to buy just the burner itself from Eastman, but they only sell the complete burner/stand combination and not the burner alone. I like the burner so much that I will eventually bite the bullet and buy it anyway. IIRC, it's designed to operate on high pressure propane, so I don't know how well it will work with natural gas even if you enlarge the orifice. Please post back and let us know if you get it working with NG.

I picked up an Eastman turkey fryer kit from craigslist today. Was new, but been sitting for years. Looked to have all the parts, so I bought it.

Small world! Was that the one for $30? If so, I just emailed them to see if they still had it!

There are a couple of others on there, too.

Sorry to threadjack.

Greydog

This one was $40 in the Tippecanoe forsale. Good luck on the one for $30. Other than the missing orifice, this one seems pretty nice.

I ordered the hurricane conversion valve to see if I can get this to work no NG. Hope to have the valve and the hose before the weekend and will post the results.

Picked up 50' of copper last night and will making my wort chiller this evening. Next thing is the mash tun and I think I'll have everything I need to move from extract to all grain.

I got the conversion valve today. The end was too big to fit in the burner. I decided to enlarge the hole and tap it to fit the fitting. I thought I had the threads matched up and went to enlarge the hole. I drilled the a 1/2" hole and I quickly found out that I goofed. The hole was too big for the threads. It is almost a perfect fit for the valve though. So, I went with it as is. It sits snug in the burner, but I wasn't able to add the little air vent between the valve and the burner.

I was able to get a nice blue flame on it, but that didn't seem to heat the water very quickly. I opened it up to about 3/4 and yellow flames lapped around the bottom of the pot. This caused some soot and the lower 1/4 of the aluminum pot got a black coating on it. I brought 6 gallons of water to boil in 43 minutes. This doesn't seem too bad to me.

I'd like to reduce the soot, but not sure what steps to take. If I keep the gas flow down, I don't think it would bring it to a boil? If I open it up all the way, I get flames almost half way up the pot and that didn't seem good either.

Trial and error hopefully will help me balance out the system. I'm going to work on a way to put the air vent back on the burner and see how that affects the burn.

So far, it looks like a go for all grain this weekend. My immersion chiller brought the pot back down to 75° in 10 mins. I have my mash tun about complete and my taddy porter kit is set to arrive Saturday.

i just finally fixed the same issues with my burner set up. If you are having the same issue i was, and it sounds like you are, you are pushing too much propane and tha'ts why you are getting that yellow flame with the soot.

You need to get a smaller orifice for the burner. I had to go to a propane shop to finally find one that fit.

i don't know if the time it took to get your pot to boil is good or bad, since i have no clue what the BTU's are....but with a regular high pressure turkery fryer (55,000 btu) it took me 24 minutes to go from 58* to boil with 7.75 gallons in the pot.

Here is a picture of the burner in action. The soot is worse than it could be because I ran it at full for a bit to see what it would do and that is when the soot got really bad. But, even at 3/4 open, half of the soot was there. As you can see, the flame is pretty yellow.

Where can I purchase orifices to try something smaller? Is there a way to reduce the size of the orifice in the converter valve that I have?

burn.jpg

Some more adjusting and I got a flame I'm happy with. I ended up wrapping the end of orifice in a layer of thin aluminum foil and then used a toothpick make my own orifice size. I can now open it wide open and get a nice blue flame. I also lowered the cooking grate about 1-1/2". I have the burner air open all the way and didn't need to add the vent.

I made my first all grain (taddy porter) and everything went smoothly. No soot and about 15-20 mins to bring the wort to a boil. Very cool making the wort from grain.

Back