Burner Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a single tiered, 3 banjo burner stand. I use 30 gallon Boilermaker pots and not only does it take forever to heat them up, I can't ever get a rolling boil. I even use a heat stick, but it doesn't seem to do any good. I assume I'm not using the burners correctly.

I have adjusted them so that I'm only seeing blue flame. When I do that, some some of the tips will go in and out. It also doesn't look like the flame gets really high. I've done a lot of reading on the forum and a lot of other research, but I can't seem to figure out what's going on. I've disassembled them. I've soaked them in Oxiclean. I've gone in and cleaned the tips (though, it may be about time to do that again).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

How are you starting up the burner? Propane tanks have safety devices that cut the flow right down if you don't open the valves in the correct order (tank valve, then needle valve after the regulator).

You could also be losing propane pressure elsewhere. Also, are your burners specified for the same pressure as your regulator is supplying?

I open the tank (the regulator is already dialed in, though it may be dialed in incorrectly), light an ignitor near the burners, slowly open the valve (it's a ball valve, not needle) until I hear the hiss and see it catch.

I have been tempted to break out the leak detector fluid to see if I'm leaking somewhere, but when the valves are closed, it doesn't seem to be coming out of anywhere (at least it doesn't sound like it). The regulator is a "high pressure" 250 psi regulator

I open the tank (the regulator is already dialed in[...]

And right there is your problem.

It was mentioned already: the ACME nut on your propane regulator has an excess flow check valve, and if the regulator is already open when you open the tank valve, the check valve will trigger and block nearly the entire gas flow.

Start with the regulator closed.

Cheers!

And right there is your problem.

It was mentioned already: the ACME nut on your propane regulator has an excess flow check valve, and if the regulator is already open when you open the tank valve, the check valve will trigger and block nearly the entire gas flow.

Start with the regulator closed.

Cheers!

Interesting. I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Back