Burner help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OsbornBrewing

Reaction score
I have the bayou classic single burner stove:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and people talk about "dialing it in" or adjusting the air intake for proper flame.

Can someone help me with what a proper flame is?

This is a GREAT stove. If I crank it up it blows itself out and on a simmer the slightest air movement will blow out the flame. So I don't think I'm dialed in, and would like to be.

Can anyone help me with how to adjust the flame, and how I know if I am going in the right direction or not?

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
where the gas hose goes into the cast burner there is a vent that can be opened and closed. This adjusts how much air mixes with the gas before it burns in the flame.

It's near the label on the steel frame in the picture on amazon

The flame blowing itself out at high throttle indicates it's getting too much air. Yellow flames means not enough air.

I have a double burner that has a circular piece of metal on each one around the burner that reduces the wind around the burner. It looks like yours could benefit from something like that too. I don't have any problems with air movement blowing out my flame. It is something like what is posted on this site.

Just wanted to say thanks for the informative replies! I got the flame adjusted. And headed to home depot to see if I couldn't fab a windscreen, some 6" ductwork seemed to do the trick:
stove1.jpg

Cranked up this thing now roars like a jet engine, and at a simmer with a blow dryer 1' away I could not blow out the flame! :ban:

Had enough duct leftover to upgrade the hopper on my grain mill too! :rockin:
megahopper.jpg

Cheers! :mug:

Back