Burner advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
I am still brewing on my gas stove but would like to move outdoors. I plan on starting BIAB and am looking at 2 different propane burners. Can anyone provide feedback on these 2 choices? I am wondering if the price difference is worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-SH-140L-Pressure-Detachable/dp/B0000ASCU9/ref=sr_1_18?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1340896917&sr=1-18&keywords=burner
41DK27CA4YL._SS400_.jpg

or

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blichmann-floor-burner.html
77004-websmall_1.jpg

with the 24" leg extensions, it's more than double the cost of the other one

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Blichmann burner. I had a KAB4 before and the Blichmann kicked its ass. I'd also be concerned that the other one you posted would have issues supporting a full kettle/keggle. I can tell you that the Blichmann has zero issue with a full keggle and larger vessles.

I have one that is similar to the first one you posted and it hasnt failed me yet. If its cost youre worried about I would consider the first burner and with the money you save get something else that you need :)

My first burner was ok but it didn't get the wort to a boil nearly as fast and it used more fuel. I can get more wort to a boil faster with the Blichmann burner than the other one.

My first burner is the Blichmann. I later got the extended legs for it so that I could empty from the boil kettle directly into my primary fermenter. It heats quickly, is easy to control the flame, and has sufficient power. The cons are that it does not come automatically with the extended legs, and it is more expensive than most other burners.
My second burner is a 60K BTU Camp Chef burner similar to what you have. It heats quickly but it sounds like a jet engine. It cost less than the Blichmann, but it is too noisy.

I want to purchase a third burner, which will be a Blichmann. I like the construction of the burner itself. I like the quiet of the burner. And I like the regulator controls of the Blichmann. Yes, it is more, but I think that it is a better value.

I have been trying to make this same decision for a couple months now.

Just ordered the Blichmann from Northern Brewer. The stainless construction, noise level, lower propane use (even if it is only a little) etc. made it worth it to me to spend a little extra cash.

I purchased 2 of the Camp Chef burners when I started all-grain as I couldn't see spending more than double on the Blichmanns. I definitely like having the legs and after about 10 batches have no complaints with the Camp Chefs. Only minor issue was the smell of the paint burning off the first 4 or 5 batches. If money is no object the Blichmanns would be nice but I don't think you'll regret going with the Camp Chefs if you decide to go that way.

Back