Burned out Heating Element - RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually a flow switch and I guess you could put it on the input if you wanted although I see no advantage to it.

Thanks. My thought was that the only reason for the flow to stop is in the event of a stuck sparge. The earlier in the pipeline it is discovered the better, so by having the switch located before the RIMS tube/element, once the flow switch senses that there is no wort movement it cuts power to the element before there is any liquid in the tube to vaporize/scorch. Guess is it six one way half a dozen the other.

I just finished my RIMs system, using a PID controller like you guys are showing above.

I can't find any answer to this, but what do I use for the actual alarm? I'm assuming that J1/2 just drive an on/off signal, like a relay, so I'd need some sort of tone generator and a speaker. Is that right? Also, where can I get something like that.

Thanks. And to whoever thought up the idea to run the alarm in series with the SSR.... great idea. Thanks. I'll re-wire that this afternoon.

I just finished my RIMs system, using a PID controller like you guys are showing above.

I can't find any answer to this, but what do I use for the actual alarm? I'm assuming that J1/2 just drive an on/off signal, like a relay, so I'd need some sort of tone generator and a speaker. Is that right? Also, where can I get something like that.

Thanks. And to whoever thought up the idea to run the alarm in series with the SSR.... great idea. Thanks. I'll re-wire that this afternoon.

You can get peizo alarms at Radio Shack for little to nothing. Just hook it up to a wall wart with the relay in line on the positive. Then when the alarm triggers you'll get the buzzzzz

Thanks. I was thinking something more elaborate... but why waste the time? If it sounds... something is either broke or about to be.

Thanks Sweet.

Kinda of a resurrection, but I have a question for all of the PID gurus assembled in one place. I'm using a SYL-2352 PID to drive a single SSR. I currently have mine configured so that AL-2 (low process alarm) is constantly on up to a set-point. I have the set-point well below what I consider a maximum safe temperature. This way, the SSR is energized while the alarm is active, i.e., the temperature has not reached the set-point. Once the set-point (+ hysteresis) is reached, the alarm stops and de-energizes the SSR. This seems to be intuitively simpler than assigning 2 separate alarms and running jumpers. It also seems like an adequate fail-safe for not overheating the tube or dry-firing the element. Did I oversimplify things? Am I shortening the life span of the alarm relay? Am I disregarding the design of the PID by not utilizing a built-in system for this very purpose? Thanks for the help.

Kinda of a resurrection, but I have a question for all of the PID gurus assembled in one place. I'm using a SYL-2352 PID to drive a single SSR. I currently have mine configured so that AL-2 (low process alarm) is constantly on up to a set-point. I have the set-point well below what I consider a maximum safe temperature. This way, the SSR is energized while the alarm is active, i.e., the temperature has not reached the set-point. Once the set-point (+ hysteresis) is reached, the alarm stops and de-energizes the SSR. This seems to be intuitively simpler than assigning 2 separate alarms and running jumpers. It also seems like an adequate fail-safe for not overheating the tube or dry-firing the element. Did I oversimplify things? Am I shortening the life span of the alarm relay? Am I disregarding the design of the PID by not utilizing a built-in system for this very purpose? Thanks for the help.

Not at all.
In fact, that's exactly what I want to do in my system. If you're only running the 9v SSR(fixed) trigger through the relay you'll be fine.

I like interlocks in the way of my interlocks...

Not at all.
In fact, that's exactly what I want to do in my system. If you're only running the 9v PID trigger through the relay you'll be fine.

I like interlocks in the way of my interlocks...

Thanks. Just seemed way to simple for some reason....plus I didn't know how it would affect the alarm relay, over time.

Latest posts

Back