Burger & Beer Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I've sorta taken a shine to thinner patties, thinner as in 6 per lb, quick seared on fairly high heat, then stackin' 'em two or three high.
I’m committed to figuring out smashburgers. They’re tougher to make than I expected. After those smash tacos though, I think I have it down. I’m going to try regular burgers sometime this weekend.

Doing burgers here tonight.

Agree re: smashburgers. I thought it would be a lot easier than it ended up being. Think I didn't get the cast iron hot enough--I did it in the Traeger at max temp (450) but since it's indirect heat, I think maybe it didn't have enough to crisp them up. Going to try something different next time. But tonight is my typical burger cook, so no need for smash...

BTW this recipe for "smashed hamburgers" aren't actually smash burgers, but are delicious. Recommend.

Little place called Moonburger in Kingston, NY. I was up there today with my homebrew club for a private tour of Hudson Valley Malt, NY’s first craft maltster. What a cool day.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
Pesto parmigiana burgers with my philly sour ale.

We recently switched meat suppliers. These are my first burgers from the new farm. They come pre-made. Little thin for my liking. I’ll probably smash them next time.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
These burgers are from the butcher who handles the cows we’ve been purchasing. They’re a little small for my taste but the flavor and how well they hold together more than make up for the size.

These were on potato rolls with hot honey caramelized onions, cheddar cheese, and siracha mayo. Seasoned with Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Burger seasoning.

Paired with my extremely cloudy brown ale.
IMG_0724.jpeg

Burgers at home with the kids. Wife bought a bag of frozen Arby’s fries to accompany them. I’m most proud of the burger sauce I mixed up. This batch hit the perfect ratio of mayo to ketchup, with just a hint of garlic and chili powder. Paired with half a glass of my Irish Red.
IMG_1169.jpeg
IMG_1170.jpeg

I decided to try changing something up with my burgers. I've always been forming them by hand. It works, but with as much fat as I have in my blend, it's hard to get them formed in such a way that I'm sure they'll stay together on the grill... And for the big burgers (~11-12 oz for my son and I) they are wider than the bun lol...

So I bought a burger press made by LEM. I think with this I can make single burgers ~6 oz for my wife / middle son / daughter, and double burgers for my oldest and myself, and have more uniform patties which cook and hold together better.

It was kind of an impulse buy but for $30, was pretty easy to pull that trigger.

Anyone use these?

after doing a few smash burgers stove top on the cast iron pan has made me decide to purchase a flat top grill. makes sense since 80% of my cooking is in a cast iron pan. I have found burgers are best on steel, except I have made some reverse seared 1/2lb smoked bacon burgers those are extraordinary.

Attachments

• KIMG0805.JPG
    KIMG0805.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 0
after doing a few smash burgers stove top on the cast iron pan has made me decide to purchase a flat top grill. makes sense since 80% of my cooking is in a cast iron pan. I have found burgers are best on steel, except I have made some reverse seared 1/2lb smoked bacon burgers those are extraordinary.
I LOVE my Blackstone. I’ve never really used my grills much over the years, but this Blackstone get used at least 1-2 a week, year round.

Not sure why I never truly dug into making a great burger. I suppose it was the cliche burgers and dogs and didn't warrant any attention. I have probably had more burgers last couple months than normally would in a year.
Ciabatta buns my go to, holds up well.

Attachments

• KIMG0821.JPG
    KIMG0821.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 0
No beer, but yesterday I finally made it to Louis Lunch in New Haven, CT, the restaurant that claims to have invented hamburgers.

Unfortunately it was a disappointment. I waited about 4 minutes shy of an hour for 1 burger. They have a sign that says they only cook medium rare but it came out well done. They don’t season the meat either, like, at all.

I’m glad I made it but also glad it’s now in the past. I doubt I’ll be back.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpeg
    IMG_2660.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2661.jpeg
    IMG_2661.jpeg
Doesn’t look or sound good. I find that the disappointment rate of a restaurant hamburger very high. It doesn’t stop me from trying but I’m frequently let down.

On the other hand, the disappointment rate of my home grilled burgers is very low. And a fraction of the cost.

No beer, but yesterday I finally made it to Louis Lunch in New Haven, CT, the restaurant that claims to have invented hamburgers.

Unfortunately it was a disappointment. I waited about 4 minutes shy of an hour for 1 burger. They have a sign that says they only cook medium rare but it came out well done. They don’t season the meat either, like, at all.

I’m glad I made it but also glad it’s now in the past. I doubt I’ll be back.

I haven’t been to Louis Lunch in about 4 years…but im very surprised how well done those burgers are…ours were still mooing!

You should try and hit up Ted’s Steamed Burgers in Meriden…from my past experience it was much better than Louis!

They were very busy, I may have just been unlucky. One thing I noticed is they don’t change their speed to account for the crowd. It is what it is. When I ordered I was told 35 min. It ended up being 57. And honestly I think the cashier realized I was getting pissed and bumped me up a few spots. Stopping for an hour is fine if I can be charging my car, but they’re pretty far from the nearest charger.

Back