Bumbling Amateur Brewing - Near Harrisburg, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been brewing since January of this year. I've been bitten by the homebrew bug bad. I have 4 extract batches under my belt (and mostly gone) and 2 all-grain batches - One DIPA I'm drinking at this very moment and one Chocolate Milk Stout bottle conditioning.

Just wanted to say hello and most definitely THANKS to all the experienced brewer out there. I've been reading alot of threads and have learned a great deal from all of you - I will especially call out Broken Leg Brewing. I always find your posts especially helpful.

I'm also a gardner so, I've planted 15 hops bines (5 nugget, 5 centennial and 5 cascade) I know that's more than I'll ever use - but I have the space so why not? Some are doing better than others. We shall see how the rest of the season goes.

Next up is another DIPA. (did I mention that I'm a serious hop head?) Testing Chinook for flavor and aroma. Considering planting Chinook in place of either centennial or cascade. Seeing as how they're so similar it seems silly to have them both.

Im growing hops and live in Illinois and have a big Japanese Beatle problem... First year grower and wondering if you are experiencing the same issue?... If so any advice?

Im growing hops and live in Illinois and have a big Japanese Beatle problem... First year grower and wondering if you are experiencing the same issue?... If so any advice?

This is my first year growing hops, too. So, I don't have much insight specific to hops. But for general garden stuff my go-to insecticide is sevin. I'm not sure I'd want that around my hop cones though. If it were me, I'd go to my local garden center and ask what sort of insecticides they would put on leaf crops that are intended for human consumption.

I do know there there are japanese beetle traps out there. My dad used to put them all over the yard. I guess they made a dent in the beetles. Not really sure, though.

If "Bumbling Amateur Brewing" isn't the name of your 'company', then may I steal it?

:D

You'll find plenty of hop heads around here to confer with! Also many different aspects of the brewing process discussed at length. I used to use the Japanese beetle traps with good success. I'm wondering if they still make them? I haven't looked lately though, in all fairness. They use a theramone to attract the little pests into the bag. Those would be the best around your bines if you can find them.

Back