Bulk Malt in Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody in the Denver Metro want to QB this....obviously someone (or 2) that can take delivery. Like I said I will be in Denver (staying in Parker) for the week of Nov 29th-Dec 4th. I will send money pre my arrival to whomever does this if necesary.

I live in Longmont and would like 2 bags (100 pounds) if I am not too late. I can probably arrange a delivery site for a pallet as well.

I would also be open to a bulk grain buy from North Country malt if the Colorado thing does not happen.
Todd

DurangoHomeBrewMafia: I always end up making names for the brews towards the ends when I have had a few home brews. The Tax Time is just a Hoppy Red Ale, at the time we thought it was called a Indian Red Ale. For some reason my friend that IRS was the IRA. Thus the name was born. (Long story for a crappy name)

I am up in Boulder, but I can front the money as well. If we need it I can see if they will deliver up here.

So thats 600 lbs with DurangoHomeBrewMafia, Grimtas, Labrat and myself.

I can also send the money prior to ordering. Is there a larger discount at 1000 pounds? Has anyone used the Colorado Malt? How does it compare with Rahr or MO?

So that is 700 lbs with DurangoHomeBrewMafia, Grimtas, Labrat, Jarrman, and myself. Enough for a discount anyway. Are any of you guys located in Denver to take the delivery?

I can also send the money prior to ordering. Is there a larger discount at 1000 pounds? Has anyone used the Colorado Malt? How does it compare with Rahr or MO?

I have heard only good things about it, but never used it myself. Either way it will probably be super fresh.

I'll be buying a bag soon, but I'm in the Springs and will likely just pay the full bag price and meet Jason on his way up to Denver sometime.

Ridebreck
Im in the springs too and will pick up in Denver of this goes through. I could always bring yours back down for you as it will help reduce the overall cost on the group buy.

So-

me - 100
Jarrman - 200
Grimtas - 200
Labrat - 100
Musketear - 100
Ridebreck - ?

Anyone else? Do we need to send the guys at Colorado Malting an email and see if we can set up delivery somewhere/time? And get a confirmed quote for 700lbs/14 bags?

Like I said the only time I will be in Denver in the forseeable future is the 29th of Nov - Dec 4th.

Thanks!

So-

me - 100
Jarrman - 200
Grimtas - 200
Labrat - 100
Musketear - 100
Ridebreck - ?

Anyone else? Do we need to send the guys at Colorado Malting an email and see if we can set up delivery somewhere/time? And get a confirmed quote for 700lbs/14 bags?

Like I said the only time I will be in Denver in the forseeable future is the 29th of Nov - Dec 4th.

Thanks!

I think it would be the most beneficial if we could at least get a half pallet (1000lbs) to really make it worth while for Colorado Malting. If Ridebreck comes in we are only 250 short that's only 5 bags. I might be able to talk SWMBO for an additional bag but that may be pushing it a bit.

I'm in for 150#, PM me with details for where/who to send money to. I'll be around until late December, could come get the grain whenever.

I am going to send an e-mail to a buddy, he may be interested as well. Are we still at $0.65/lb for 2-row? Any extras for delivery/etc?

It seems to me that we would not be getting 50# sacks though...did I read this wrong?
"It comes in 1000lbs bulk bags delivered for $0.60 cents per pound or in 50 lb bags delivered for $0.65 per pound."
So someone would have to split it or weigh it out and we would all have to bring containers of some sort....kind of a pain in the azz, but @ 32.50 instead of $50 for Rahr...could be worth it.

Yeah ColoradoXJ, I don't want any part of weighing hauling, etc. I want 50lb sacks. Thats why I think we need to make sure we get a somewhat detailed quote from CO Malting, just so we all know what we're getting.

ColoradoXJ,
It should come in 50lb sacks, It's not Rahr but Colorado Grown and malted barley. The reason for the 1000lbs goal is I believe that's the requirement for the .65 per pound quote.

Your 200 puts us closer at 900lbs only 100 more to go ;)

Buffman: are you in for any grain? I know the thread was high jacked, but you were initially looking for some grain.

900 lbs. Nice. Is there any Colorado threads we can ask in?

I've been watching this thread and debating whether I need more (Jason brought me 50# before this group buy got rolling). I'm in for another 50#. At the rate I brew, I won't go through more grain than that before it gets stale.

What does that get us to, 950?

ColoradoXJ,
It should come in 50lb sacks, It's not Rahr but Colorado Grown and malted barley. The reason for the 1000lbs goal is I believe that's the requirement for the .65 per pound quote.

Your 200 puts us closer at 900lbs only 100 more to go ;)

Yeah, I know its not Rahr, but I usually buy Rahr @ $50/50# sack, I could care less what the base malt is that I use, I always buy the cheapest and my beer is always great (except for the not so great ones :))

I don't believe that it coming in 50# sacks has been confirmed yet though...

Yeah, I know its not Rahr, but I usually buy Rahr @ $50/50# sack, I could care less what the base malt is that I use, I always buy the cheapest and my beer is always great (except for the not so great ones :))

I don't believe that it coming in 50# sacks has been confirmed yet though...

The last time I talked to CMC they are willing to do group buys in 50lb sacks is where I'm comming from. But I'll wait for their current answer from Durango.

Jason's reply below....I think we are close enough to the 1000lbs that we should do that. I'll go in for another 50 if necessary. Thoughts? Also, I think we all would want unmilled, correct? Anything else I should ask him?

Awesome! 700 lbs will cost you $0.80 per pound that a total of $560.00 w/ shipping included. We package in 50 lb bags - either whole or milled with no charge for milling. If you order over 1000 lbs the price goes down to $0.65 per pound.

Let me know if you are interested...

Thanks,

Jason

Colorado Malting Company
2064 County Road 12 South
Alamosa, CO 81101

"Malt with you in Mind"

(719)580-0051

UnMilled here and the .65/Lb mark is the reason I keep pushing for the 1000+ lbs. I'd have to increase to 250 just to ensure the .65 as .80 is an extra $30 for me anyway, of which I'd rather spend on whole grain then nothing.

Here's the current tally if no one else jumps on the band wagon.

Jarrman - 200
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Grimtas - 200 / 250?
DurangoHomeBrew - 100 / 150?
Labrat - 100
Musketear - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 950 / 1150?

Thanks for putting that up Grimtas, have we heard from Ridebreck on this? If he comes in for a bag you and I can go w our original numbers.

I changed mine to the lower number. Labrat/Grimtas do you guys want the extra bag since we seem to have 1000lbs w/o it?

Jarrman - 250
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Grimtas - 200 / 250?
DurangoHomeBrew - 100
Labrat - 100/150?
Musketear - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 1000 / 1100?

Jarrman - 200 / 250?
Grimtas - 200 / 250?
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Labrat - 100 / 150?
DurangoHomeBrew - 100
Musketear - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 950 / 1100?

I'll send ridebreck a pm to see if he's in. That way Noone needs to up their original numbers. If he's not in I'll eat the last 50 to make this happen.

If we can cover the 1000 pounds then I will stick with ordering 2 bags.

If would be nice to do a bulk order every half year or so. I would also be interested in Munich, MO or malted wheat sacks if anyone would consider an order from North country in the future. Thanks.

Current Tally:
Jarrman - 200 / 250?
Grimtas - 200 / 250?
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Labrat - 100
DurangoHomeBrew - 100
Musketear - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 950 / 1050?

Sounds good to me Labrat. I figure this will hold me off for the next 6 months and after that I will be wanting some different kinds of base malt.

I am excited for the CMC this time though. I used it once and I liked it a lot. Plus it is going to be really fresh.

Is there any one that lives in Denver that wants to take delivery? I know labrat offered to take delivery in longmont and I can do it here at my apartment in boulder.

Depending on the delivery location you can count me in for 100. The price doesn't justify a drive to Longmont for me.

If I wasn't in an apartment I'd take delivery but I can't see stashing 1000 lbs of grain in my place.

I'm not in for the grain as I have plenty, but I noted the post and wanted to vouch for the quality on the Colorado 2 row. We purchased a bag recently from Beer at Home (awesome store, give them some business) and the quality of the malt is great, no complaints here. Flavor and efficiency are both just fine, used it in an IPA and an English Barleywine. Nice to support a Colorado business as well.

Ok Durango is going to arrange the buy with CMC and ask them their prefered delivery schedule and location. From the CO Dependency group the last delivery to Denver was in the parking lot in Park Meadows. We are shooting for a delivery date of 27-30 Nov 09 but it will be at the convience of CMC to some degree.

Here's the current tally of requested grain UnMilled as it lasts longer in 50# bags.

Current Tally:
Jarrman - 200 / 250?
Grimtas - 200
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Labrat - 100
DurangoHomeBrew - 100
Musketear - 100
Nicknunns - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 1050 / 1100?

Jarrman we are over the 1000# requirement do you still want the extra bag?

As for the delivery, CMC is willing to take cash/check on the day of delivery, I'm willing to meet them at the delivery spot the day of and can spend some time there waiting for all to show up to pick up their grain, however I can not foot the entire bill upfront in the hopes all arrive to pick up. As I live in the Springs it might be better for someone in the Denver metro area to agree to purchase/store/deliver any additional grain to the stragglers that may not be able to pick up on the day of delivery.

Prior to placing the order Durango and myself would like a solid commiment from the list above that they are willing to be flexable on the delivery date and would be able to show up on the day of delivery for purchase and pickup. Also please confirm your quantities listed above as what your willing to purchase.

I'll send out PM's tomorrow PM and Friday AM to those that don't confirm on this post to assist Durango in the final tally to place the order with CMC.

The last thing I want to see happen is CMC shows up with our order and one or several folks on the list bail on their purchase. I'm going to try to arrange a group buy every six months or so if this one goes well for all.

Grim

Thanks Grim and Durango. I will opt out of the extra bag. 200 confirmed for me.

I can not pick up until 10pm 28 th, but can be there any day/time after that for the delivery or a pickup. If I can't make the delivery I can send a check, paypal, or transfer the money to someone that is going to be there.

Musketear, Am I still bringing the bags up to you near Winter park? If so I can cover those as well.

Current Tally:
Jarrman - 200 - Confirmed After 10PM 28Nov
Grimtas - 200 - Confirmed anytime 27-30Nov
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Labrat - 100
DurangoHomeBrew - 100 - Confirmed (DATE?)
Musketear - 100
Nicknunns - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 1050

Edit: Bah had to up my subscription 5 PM's is extremly limiting

Ok, just got back from a few beers @ SKA....Jason from CMC has no problem with 2 stops, 1 south metro, 1 north metro on Tues Dec 1st (the next scheduled trip to Denver). That is the one day during the week that I don't have a class and since I will be staying in Parker, will help with the the south stop. Can anyone up north help with that stop. Not sure where it would be, I think that northern person could dictate the delivery. SO at that point if everyone is still on board, who would need to takedelivery at the south locale, and who would take delivery at the north locale? THEN we need to get the proper amount of $ to each location. I am now in for 150 at the south location.

DHBM 150 - SOUTH

Back