Bulk Grain/Hop Suggestions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
I am starting into BIAB and I should be able to make 10 Gal of Beer at a time. This means buying in bulk to save some money.

my question:

What grain is versatile enough as a base malt to cover these styles; Pale Ales, IPAs, English Ales and maybe a few Porters/Stouts along the way. I was thinking a 50 LB bag of 2-Row would be a good start . But I could be wrong, any input is greatly appreciated.

Maris Otter.

If you want a cheaper American 2-row, I'd at least go with Pale Ale malt.

Hopsdirect.com for hops, though they are out of stock on a lot of stuff right now. Best to hit them in the spring and stock up.

Maris Otter.

If you want a cheaper American 2-row, I'd at least go with Pale Ale malt.

Is Maris Otter similar to 2-Row? I don't know much about base malts as I have done only extract batches so far.

Well if you have only done extracts. Id do a few all grains before u invest in a sacks and lbs of hops and a mill.
Just a thought.
Other than that im interested in these relpys

Is Maris Otter similar to 2-Row? I don't know much about base malts as I have done only extract batches so far.

Yes and no. Maris Otter is 2-row, British 2-row: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maris_Otter
So in terms of how you treat it (mashing, gravity contribution, etc), it's similar.

But the flavor is different - distinctly malty.

And I actually like the idea of a new all-grainer getting a bag of basemalt - that way you really get to know it in a variety of styles. Cheaper too.

MO is pretty expensive though. You could instead start with an American Pale Ale malt that is also nice and malty for a lot cheaper and still make the styles you mentioned.

Well if you have only done extracts. Id do a few all grains before u invest in a sacks and lbs of hops and a mill.
Just a thought.
Other than that im interested in these relpys

A little late on that comment. Another thread in the All-Grain forum already got me to buy a Monster Mill 2.0 :D

lawle102 said:
A little late on that comment. Another thread in the All-Grain forum already got me to buy a Monster Mill 2.0 :D

Nice..... im still to cheap to buy a corona. Plus I have no place to store grain

If you have room for both, I'd get Maris Otter and regular 2-row or pale ale malt. If just one, then 2-row/pale ale malt. It's more versatile IMO.

The hop harvest is in the late summer/fall. Last year, Oct. 24th was the day that hopsdirect released the first of their hop harvest. You can buy some now, but try to buy in bulk at harvest time - to lock in those hops that always sell out (Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, etc.).

Back