Building my new Brew Stand!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugsfan

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 4 years now with great results but brew day was always sporadic and unorganized. So I set out to build my own stand. What I didn't realize is that after I bought my steel and a brand new Lincoln welder, it would take me 15 months to even start on it! The steel and welder sat until last month when I finally got motivated.

It was far easier than I thought it was going to be, especially the welding part. It's not perfect but I'm still pretty proud of it. This is what my stand looked like last weekend and what it looks like today.

I haven't been able to brew on it yet but I'm hoping these banjo burners cut my brew time down. I'll post more pics and videos of the stand tonight. Cheers!

unpainted stand.jpg

Stand Lit.jpg

Cyclman said:
Very nice, if you haven't used banjo style burners before you'll love the control and power of them. Beautiful build.
I haven't used banjo burners before and wow do they run hot. I've heard they love propane but the time saved will make up for it IMO.

Dog House Brew said:
What size steel is it? I was thinking 2x2x10ga for my new stand. Great work it looks awesome

It's 10ga 1.5x1.5. IMO it is way overkill but I love the sturdiness.

LuNchBoX1371 said:
How much did it cost to put the whole thing built?
Good question!!!
Let's see
$165 for square steel
$25 for 4 casters
$20 for the steel bottom plate
$30 for the perforated steel
$120 for burners
$65 aprox for gas lines
I'm probably forgetting something...

So around $425 not including the kegs and parts. I've definitely been piecing it together for over a year.

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words. I think I've been on this forum almost everyday looking at everyone's DIY projects and I've definitely gotten inspiration from a lot of people! I couldn't have done it without everyone!!!

Looks good and the color is cool! Hopefully this week I can finish mine. Hard to find the time. Holiday weekend isn't just for thanksgiving, it is for welding!

Face Eater said:
Looks good and the color is cool! Hopefully this week I can finish mine. Hard to find the time. Holiday weekend isn't just for thanksgiving, it is for welding!

Exactly! I just wish I had started on my stand a long time ago!!!

I'm about 90% complete with mine. My first build.

View attachment 162774

Looks awesome man! Fairly similar to my build. I like the 3 separate regulators. Hopefully I won't regret not doing that on mine. I'm hoping to brew this weekend for the first time. I'm not sure if I'll have to lower my burners or not. Have you tried yours yet?

Not for brewing did a test run with two keggle filled to the top with water on a windy day to see how long it would take to boil. Took 39 minutes at full blast. And the regs were probably a bit much but I feel I get better flame control than j would get with needle valves. I was hoping this weekend. But maybe next week I will get to brew.

How did u guys install your caster? I basically cut a 1.5 by 1.5 inch of 1/8 flat stock drilled a hole in the center and welded a nut then welded that piece to the bottom of the feet that way I have adjustable casters. It seems strong but I do doubt it a bit

How did u guys install your caster? I basically cut a 1.5 by 1.5 inch of 1/8 flat stock drilled a hole in the center and welded a nut then welded that piece to the bottom of the feet that way I have adjustable casters. It seems strong but I do doubt it a bit

That is actually the exact same thing I did as well. It seems pretty strong but we'll find out once I have the kegs full!

I guess I should rephrase the question. How wide is the hole?

I'll measure it when I get home but I free handed it and just let the edge of the grinder run along the rim of the keg. I want to say it's right at 12" but I'm not positive. I'll measure tonight and let you know.

I'll measure it when I get home but I free handed it and just let the edge of the grinder run along the rim of the keg. I want to say it's right at 12" but I'm not positive. I'll measure tonight and let you know.

thank you, sir!

I have a question, how wide is the lip on the top of your keg? I have a cut keg, but I don't think I cut the hole quite big enough and need to do some adjusting to it.
Size it to fit a lid. It's a lot easier to make the hole the right size than it is to find a lid that fits. Buy the lid first.

Size it to fit a lid. It's a lot easier to make the hole the right size than it is to find a lid that fits. Buy the lid first.

The hole has already been cut, but it's not wide enough IMO and needs to be cleaned up a bit as the hole is quite jagged all the way around and not very uniform. Going to look at re-cutting the hole this weekend.

I also don't use a lid so thats out as well.

The hole has already been cut, but it's not wide enough IMO and needs to be cleaned up a bit as the hole is quite jagged all the way around and not very uniform. Going to look at re-cutting the hole this weekend.

I also don't use a lid so thats out as well.

The hole that I cut in my keg is right at 12" which works great because my false bottom just barely fits in.

Back