Building a house - draft help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dime1622

Reaction score
Hey all-

SWMBO and I finally decided to build a house. Rather than a wet bar in the basement, we've decided to focus on making the main floor an all-in-one cooking / entertaining area. As a result, while the big keezer will go in the basement, we're going to install a draft tower in the kitchen with the intent of having two beers on tap in 5 gal ball lock kegs. There's a nice space between the corner pantry and the fridge that we are planning use.

Right now, the design is still completely open, so the cabinet width can be tailored to meet our needs. What do you recommend in terms of a fridge and draft tower? We'd like to have it look completely integrated such that if it were removed you'd only see the hole in the granite counter top.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I built a house 2 years ago and did this. My advice is to crunch the numbers to see what size beverage lines you need. You may need 1/4", I did based on the length and height of the run. Then order real trunk line with glycol coolant lines. Lastly, order a tap tower with the glycol hookups to keep the tower and shanks cold. The distance from the basement to the tap tower is tough to keep cold. I've tried a bucket of water in the keezer with minimal results. I finally gave in and went with glycol, which works well. If you don't do this, you will get all foam for your first glass.

I will say that it's super convenient to have it on the main level of the house. I get tons of compliments from visitors. Here is a picture of my tap:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467689038.593931.jpg

Thanks for the response! I probably wasn't super clear in my post - I plan on having both the keezer in the basement but also a brand new separate fridge in the kitchen inside a cabinet to hold two kegs and a CO2 bottle. Having keezer beer on tap in the kitchen would require a ~25' run. Not interested in messing around with that :p

I saw the thread title and immediately thought you were having air-leak problems such that the house was difficult to heat or cool efficiently.

W/R/T beer, the only draft problems I've had recently is when a keg kicks. :)

Thanks for the response! I probably wasn't super clear in my post - I plan on having both the keezer in the basement but also a brand new separate fridge in the kitchen inside a cabinet to hold two kegs and a CO2 bottle. Having keezer beer on tap in the kitchen would require a ~25' run. Not interested in messing around with that :p

Installation instructions will most likely cover ventilation. The heat from the frig needs a place to go to avoid a overheating compressor.

Agree..typically you would get an under counter fridge, which vents out the front. If you don't have the correct ventilation, the compressor will die much sooner than it should. Did you plan on having the fridge visible under a counter? Or completely inside a cabinet?

Back