Building a false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am setting up a new ebiab system and im needing a way to keep the bag off the element. I am thinking a false bottom would be best, wondering what you all have done. Im thinking some sort of steel screen with bolts. Since it doesnt have to fit super tight like it would in a mash tun application, im thinking it should be fairly easy. Pics are a plus, let me know your solutions.

i've heard of people using baking racks to keep their bags off the element there are a few threads talking about it

i myself am planning an ebiab system, and from my research i have found that the bag burning on the element is a non issue and the use of a false bottom is unnecessary. also the use of a stainless basket will aid in this as well

let me ask you are you using a keggle or kettle because there are several solutions if you truly feel its necessary

I used a grill grate with some ss nuts and bolts to keep it just above the element. I also recirculate throughout the mash and have heard of problems with the hole size in some baskets, don't have that problem with the grate.

Sorry I should have said it is a keggle. I am going to recirculate fairly soon. I will probably do a could batches just stirring. I will be using the touch screen controller from electricbiab.com

I have a keggle with a 5500W wavy element and this is what I used. It was a stainless steel vegetable griddle for the BBQ. Paid $10 for it and cut the corners off with a zip disk and sanded the edges smooth. Used 5/16" stainless nuts and bolts to keep at correct height above element. Here is what the finished product looks like.

If interested here is the link where I purchased it in Canada.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Chef+Stainless+Steel+Grill+Rack.jsp?locale=en

photo (3).JPG

Back