Building a bubbler for a IBC Tote

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora_colony_cider

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience fermenting in a IBC tote? if so, how did you make a bubbler for the fermentation process?

I hear that these lids (pictured below) work great but have no idea what to do with them when they arrive.

shopping

Do those white caps come out and then you plug the hole with a regular cork/bubbler system? Like so (see picture below).

IMG_20151017_120848969.jpg

Or do you need extra equipment or caulk or something?

Thanks for your help.

R.

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience fermenting in a IBC tote? if so, how did you make a bubbler for the fermentation process?

I hear that these lids (pictured below) work great but have no idea what to do with them when they arrive.

shopping

Do those white caps come out and then you plug the hole with a regular cork/bubbler system? Like so (see picture below).

IMG_20151017_120848969.jpg

Or do you need extra equipment or caulk or something?

Thanks for your help.

R.
That tiny airlock will get plugged and shot into the ceiling.
You have 220 gallons of cider pumping out gas. Use a blowoff tube during primary fermentation.

I second the blow off tube. But, If you really want to use air locks, maybe after primary settles down, put a few of them in the black plastic cap in drilled stoppers.

Another idea is to run tubing from the cap to a gallon jug of water. CO2 will pass through the tube and bubble into the water in the jug. Just make sure your tubing has a large enough diameter to not get plugged.

Back