Building a $10 primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wally world does suck.

Hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted on the final product.

I get 14 litter Food Grade buckets from my local wegmans bakery. They are a little small but their free and and work good for my small experimental batches. :rockin:

I was just re-reading this thread when I caught this...

I'm thinking of cobbling together a shelf that will let me store a couple in the small gap between my fridge and the wall.... (where my 7 gallon pail is too wide to fit:()

Just as a note, your refrigerator more than likely puts out a fair amount of heat in order to keep everything inside cold. Your temperature fluctuations may be pretty high in this little cranny that you have found.

My wally world does suck.

Hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted on the final product.

It was started on the 20th and it already smells good. I foresee a few "damn you edwort!" mornings in my future.:mug:

I had a neighbor ferment a batch of beer in one of those. Nasty plastic taste.

They might be OK for holding water short term for water on a camp out, but I would not ferment anything in one of those.

I'd use a $6 clear plastic water bottle from my local grocery store before I'd use a dark blue colored jug, but that's just my opinion.

Better bottles or glass carboys are the way to go and over time, they will provide you with consistent quality beer or cider.

High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)

HDPE is a kind of plastic resin that is used in things like milk and water bottles, detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, grocery bags, and margarine containers. It's the type of plastic that has a number 2 in the center of the recycling symbol.

HDPE is one of the easier plastics to recycle and most community recycling programs accept these products. They usually aren't recycled into their original form. Often HDPE products are recycled into things like park benches, milk crates, toys, plastic lumber, and plastic speed bumps.

If you are concerned about the chemicals that leech out of plastic water bottles, look for bottles with a #2 on the bottom. HDPE is one of the safer plastics and is one that is considered reusable/refillable. If the water bottle has a #1 on the bottle, it is safe for only one use and then should be recycled.

Its also used for the Minibrew conical fermenters

Ive found so much conflicting information on this subject that I will just have to wait and see...

To dispel all jealousy, I decided to let my $7 5G glass carboy nosedive into my concrete basement sink, resulting in a giant pile of very broken glass.

To dispel all jealousy, I decided to let my $7 5G glass carboy nosedive into my concrete basement sink, resulting in a giant pile of very broken glass.

Sorry to hear...but to instill a bit of your lost jealousy, I found a supply of 5gal glass carboys for $18.75 filled with drinking water for brewday! That's $11.75 for the water plus $7.00 for bottle deposit. They used to sell the empties for a $10 deposit, but caught on I guess and force us to buy them filled now.

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

One thing I want to add on topic....the ale pails are HDPE (no.2)....and the true brew pail I have, is made by the same company that makes the homer buckets, as per the company logo on each. Thought it was funny when the LHBS dude said it wasn't food grade though because they are orange!?!?

Hope your blue-tainer experiment works out.

:(That sucks, I bet you were not a happy camper. At least it wasn't a $40 glass carboy though.

Here is some info for you guy's. I work in the plastics industry and wanted to clear up some misconception about the recycle logo code. The number in the logo refers to the type of raw plastic used in manufacturing the container. It does not refer to the grade. Their is a world of difference between #2 and food grade #2. The number was intended to be used an indicator for how recyclable it was (1 being most recyclable, 6 being least). #1 (PET) is a good bet since PET is used mainly in food prep and the medical field and is commonly virgin (no contaminates). Better Bottles are #1. The ALE PALE is #2 Food grade. The #2 bucket from Walmart or HD may be #2, but never intended for food storage. This means the manufacturer can use filler (other plastic) to lower the cost to make the bucket, hence the low $ at the store.

Pretty much what this means is, if the seller is advertising the product as food grade, the risk of off flavor is minimal, and will have a smooth internal surface. Otherwise, buyer beware!

Ok, back to my patersbeir

Just did a 10 day taste test, no odd flavors (except for the yeasties still in suspension), and even then it was pretty good. And through some googlin' I found out that it is, in fact, fda approved food grade. I think there is some substance in the oxygen permeability argument, and I don't think they would be the best choice for bulk aging or long ferments, but for a fermenter I didn't have to drive an hour for I aint complaining... :mug:

Here is some info for you guy's. I work in the plastics industry and wanted to clear up some misconception about the recycle logo code. The number in the logo refers to the type of raw plastic used in manufacturing the container. It does not refer to the grade. Their is a world of difference between #2 and food grade #2. The number was intended to be used an indicator for how recyclable it was (1 being most recyclable, 6 being least). #1 (PET) is a good bet since PET is used mainly in food prep and the medical field and is commonly virgin (no contaminates). Better Bottles are #1. The ALE PALE is #2 Food grade. The #2 bucket from Walmart or HD may be #2, but never intended for food storage. This means the manufacturer can use filler (other plastic) to lower the cost to make the bucket, hence the low $ at the store.

Pretty much what this means is, if the seller is advertising the product as food grade, the risk of off flavor is minimal, and will have a smooth internal surface. Otherwise, buyer beware!

Ok, back to my patersbeir

Thats some pretty damn good insight, from an industry pro. Thanks for your help!

Sorry to hear...but to instill a bit of your lost jealousy, I found a supply of 5gal glass carboys for $18.75 filled with drinking water for brewday! That's $11.75 for the water plus $7.00 for bottle deposit. They used to sell the empties for a $10 deposit, but caught on I guess and force us to buy them filled now.

Yeah I can buy those carboys full for 14.75 but I don't see the need...

My local bakery sells used frosting buckets with lids for $1. Food grade, air tight lids, and smooth as silk on the inside. I drilled a hole for airlock and it works great. Cheapest fermenter ever.

Are you serious?? I am in Zeeland today and tomorrow. I could definitely use a few extra $1 fermenters!!! Hell, I'd pay you to pick them up for me at that price. PM me. Let me know if you're interested.

Are you serious?? I am in Zeeland today and tomorrow. I could definitely use a few extra $1 fermenters!!! Hell, I'd pay you to pick them up for me at that price. PM me. Let me know if you're interested.

Zeeland Bakery - right in the middle of downtown on Main Ave. Funny thing is I'm going there tomorrow morning to pick up donuts for work and I was going to pick up a couple more buckets. I'll grab some for you if you want but you could just as easy pick them up there since I live just down the street.

-TH-, the only problem for me is that I have to open a store location at Westshore mall and work until close at 9pm. :( Also, I don't know Zeeland that well so I have absolutely no idea where Main St. is but I just thought I'd see if you were up for that kinda venture. If you're not thats cool, and you provided the name of the place which helps out a lot. I could google map it when I get the chance. I could maybe make the drive out here on a day off, as it would be more cost effective than going to Sicilianos and buying a fermenter setup for $15+.

Thanksfor the info! :D

I don't understand ... are we trying to save $3 on a fermenter ?

Why not just buy the pail and lid for $15 ?

That seems tough to clean (agree with the man from Phoenix AZ)

Oh I'm out now, but once a Marine always a Marine.... But I was stationed at Twentynine palms... The USS Nimitz... And of course... Paris Island...

i come from an island paris island

death before dishonor or In our case now beer before dishonor:rockin:

by the way, it fermented well, and with a taste test next to the apfelwein i fermented in my glass carboy, there was NO NOTICABLE DIFFERANCE... SO HA!!!! Cleaning was good with apfelwein due to having no krausen, I wouldnt use it for beer, just soak in oxyclean for a few hours whilst rotating, then sterilize w/ bleach.

and also, my brother in law, who is a chemical engineer, informed me that color had no bearing whatsoever on taste. E.I. blue HDPE is equel to the white hdpe in brew buckets.

I found a supply of 5gal glass carboys for $18.75 ....That's $11.75 for the water plus $7.00 for bottle deposit.

Well, I found out that my hunting partner has a water cooler at his shop and gets these glass carboys delivered weekly. All I do is wait 'till it's empty then give him the $7 he'll get charged because he 'broke' another one. (he's a glass-blower, so I doubt he'll switch to their plastic ones, no matter how much they recommend it.)

Sampson, I hope your booze-making works out for you. But, I'd suggest you change your attitude - people are gonna give their opinions on these forums, even if it is not warranted or explicitely stated that none is wanted.

Later,

by the way, it fermented well, and with a taste test next to the apfelwein i fermented in my glass carboy, there was NO NOTICABLE DIFFERANCE... SO HA!!!! Cleaning was good with apfelwein due to having no krausen, I wouldnt use it for beer, just soak in oxyclean for a few hours whilst rotating, then sterilize w/ bleach.

Thanks for letting us know. We're happy it worked out for you and gloating is cool, except you have to keep it clean. Nasty gloating gets deleted. :mug:

has anyone else tried these? It sounds like the only real experience with it was ed wort who says his buddies brew had a bad taste. Makes me wonder if it was well cleaned, but that does not sound nice. Then there is Sampson420 who says it worked out just fine. So at this point it is 1 for 1.

has anyone else tried these? It sounds like the only real experience with it was ed wort who says his buddies brew had a bad taste. Makes me wonder if it was well cleaned, but that does not sound nice. Then there is Sampson420 who says it worked out just fine. So at this point it is 1 for 1.

EdWort's word against sampson420's word.

EdWort:
  • Contributes greatly to this forum
  • Has probably been brewing for decades
  • Has countless original recipes that are delicious award winners
  • Is a Moderator on this forum
  • Has been an active member here since July of 2006
  • Has won many brewing competitions

sampson420:
  • Was active on the forum for about 3 months, hasn't posted in the last 3
  • Originally started this thread claiming that he had found a cheap way to ferment booze
  • Who?

I'd say more like 1 to .001, to be quite honest.

well, ya i took reputation into account as well ... I am still curious if anyone else had tried it though.

If you haven't already, check out the first post in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

It has some good info about using plastic water bottles. The basic rule of thumb is that #1 or #2 plastic is safe, anything else is not, with the possible exception of #7. Some people will tell you that a properly cleaned #7 container is fine, some will tell you it's dangerous. Personally, I won't use #7s for anything other than water, and even still I notice a distinct plastic-y taste in that water.

Also, with these particular containers you have to factor in color (are they clear or opaque?) and shape. Square containers tend to be harder to clean, and if they have an internal handle, they're harder still. If they're opaque, how will you be sure they are cleaned properly? Will you be able to fit a mirror and flashlight into the opening to inspect for yourself? Is that even worth the hassle when food grade buckets are available for about $10 (ale pails)?

If you want to experiment with it, then by all means go for it. It's your beer, after all. I would only ask that you let people know that it was fermented in #7 plastic (if your particular vessel is indeed #7) so they can make up their own minds about the possible health risks.

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded, but I hope it helped! :mug:

sounds like a bad idea. I will resume my hunt for garage sale carboys ... speaking of which, there is a fleamarket that I forgot is going on today about until just now. Just might score. BBL

If you haven't already, check out the first post in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

It has some good info about using plastic water bottles. The basic rule of thumb is that #1 or #2 plastic is safe, anything else is not, with the possible exception of #7. Some people will tell you that a properly cleaned #7 container is fine, some will tell you it's dangerous. Personally, I won't use #7s for anything other than water, and even still I notice a distinct plastic-y taste in that water.

Also, with these particular containers you have to factor in color (are they clear or opaque?) and shape. Square containers tend to be harder to clean, and if they have an internal handle, they're harder still. If they're opaque, how will you be sure they are cleaned properly? Will you be able to fit a mirror and flashlight into the opening to inspect for yourself? Is that even worth the hassle when food grade buckets are available for about $10 (ale pails)?

If you want to experiment with it, then by all means go for it. It's your beer, after all. I would only ask that you let people know that it was fermented in #7 plastic (if your particular vessel is indeed #7) so they can make up their own minds about the possible health risks.

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded, but I hope it helped! :mug:

The person in this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/building-10-primary-fermenter-89738/index6.html#post981123 (it will take you to post 981123)
says there is a difference between food grade #2 and non food grade #2. Might be worth considering.

I've been using them (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kick-fermenter-104172/) and they are fantastic. I have a few in rotation for Ed's Apflewein (aka roofies). I also did a dry strout in one (with heavy krausen) and they clean up very easily w/ a good overnight oxy soak. Dental mirror and flashlights confirm and no infected batches at all..... Aquatainers are kick-a$$ but you will find those who are dead set against them; if they work for you, as they do for me, keep stacking them up.

I just drilled the air-vent a little and push the airlock right into it (no grommet) and then use the same hold for my racking cane and either gravity siphon or user the included spout (that i keep installed, external) and put a hose over it and co2 transfer out.

Correct me if i'm wrong but you shouldn't brush any plastic fermentor for fear of scratching it, right? That being the case, cleaning it would be very similar to cleaning a better bottle, wouldn't it?

In the case of a plastic better bottle, the manufacturer says you can use a soft rag and swirl in soapy water. I don't know if that is possible with that handle.

well, i am just going to forget about this for now, I just found my second 5 gallon carboy at the swap meet for $12. So my setup now consists of 2 buckets, 2 5gal carboys, and lots of bottles, which has been working out so far. I just get tired of waiting for carbonation sometimes :)

My #1 priority, aside from having a proper food-grade receptacle, is ensuring it's a form factor that's easy to keep clean. Ingredients cost too much (not to mention wasting The Precious) to become a tightwad on the fermentation bucket costs...

Back