Bugs in my grains??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zandrello

Reaction score
Hello all,
So a few days ago, I received my "Smashing Pumpkin Ale" Extract recipe kit from NB. All of that is fine, but I'm kind of growing out of extract (a little too simple), and I wanted to kind of "convert" it into a "Partial Mash" aka Mini-Mash.

There has been discussion of this, and so I knew what I needed. Yesterday, I was in OKC, and got 3 cans of Organic Pumpkin, and also picked up 2Lbs of 6-Row malt at the local HomeBrew supply store.

Here is the kicker: When I got home, my wife said she swore she saw something moving in the little plastic sack with the 6-Row in it. I checked, and sure enough, I saw 2 or 3 tiny tiny little bugs crawling around!! THIS SUCKS, because the nearest homebrew store to me is Tulsa, and I'm brewing THIS WEEKEND!

My question is this: Do I need to worry about these bugs? Any idea what they might be? Won't they get killed during my mash rest anyway??... and then further killed during the boil? Or is it probably riddled with bacteria? Do I need to worry about them at all, or is that just gross, and I should trash the malt altogether? I could take a quick trip to Tulsa if necessary. I put the grains in the fridge in hopes of killing them...

If it were me, I would use the grains anyway and not worry about it. They'll add a little extra protein I guess. I would also name the beer something appropriate, like "Pumpkin Weevil" or something like that. :)

They won't cause contamination of your beer, or hurt the flavor in anyway. If you can get over the "ewww icky!" factor, use them.

You could also tell your LHBS about the bugs, and maybe they'll give you some new ones if it bothers you that much.

If it were me, I would use the grains anyway and not worry about it.

Well the problem is, I picked up these grains in OKC while I was visiting my cousin over the weekend, which is like, 3 hrs away from where I live in Bville. So it's not really an option, however, there is a HomeBrew Supply Store in Tulsa, which is only like a 30 min drive.

I'll watch em i guess, and as long as their not INFESTED, I'll use em. I did put them in the fridge last night, the cold will kill them I assume?

The grain is definitely riddled with bacteria, but so is all grain. Don't worry about it from a sanitation aspect. But honestly, unless there are so many bugs that the grain is just crawling with them I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you have any idea how many bugs you currently eat, unaware?

If you feel like finding out, check out this link:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceReg.../SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm#CHPTA

It's the official FDA list that lists maximum permissable bug parts, rot, rat hairs, etc. in food.

For example:
CINNAMON, GROUND Insect filth
(AOAC 968.38b) Average of 400 or more insect fragments per 50 gram
Rodent filth
(AOAC 968.38b) Average of 11 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - post harvest and/or processing insect infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

And that's just the action level because any more than that and it makes it LOOK bad, not that it makes it taste worse or ruins it.

and I would have thought the double milling would have killed them

Apparently not. Again, I've only see maybe 3 of em, but I haven't actually taken the grains OUT of the plastic bag, and dug through them. I'll do that today after work.

Most other countries love snackin' on bugs of all sorts and since they're eating what you'll be drinking, I'm sure health wise it's fine and just another source of protien. I've had dried grasshoppers, crickets, and such and they really don't have any flavor by themselves, so unless there's so many that you can pick out a distinct flavor, it can just be a "secret" ingredient :D

I do wonder if their digestion of the grains may give you a head start on the mash?!

Apparently not. Again, I've only see maybe 3 of em, but I haven't actually taken the grains OUT of the plastic bag, and dug through them. I'll do that today after work.

Yeah, may as well just open the bag up and start picking the bugs out by hand. It'll make you feel better, at least.

Really they won't harm your beer. It's just that icky factor. I wouldn't waste the gas money and time on driving to another store just to get new grains.

I've used grains with some weevils in it with no problems. I just didn't tell the wife since she would have probably been grossed out. Since you only have 2 pounds of grain, it probably wouldn't take long to pick them out. If you spread your grain thin on a baking sheet, it should be fairly easy to spot them and pick them out.

Bugs or bug eggs are in pretty much any grain or grain product. I have a tendency to freeze my specialty grain when I get it (other than 50lb sacks) for a day or two to kill any eggs/larva before I add it to my inventory. You definitely won't be harmed by any of it anyway, since you'll be boiling whatever comes out of the grain.

Do you have any idea how many bugs you currently eat, unaware?...

...For example:
CINNAMON, GROUND Insect filth
(AOAC 968.38b) Average of 400 or more insect fragments per 50 gram
Rodent filth
(AOAC 968.38b) Average of 11 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - post harvest and/or processing insect infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

And that's just the action level because any more than that and it makes it LOOK bad, not that it makes it taste worse or ruins it.

Makes me wonder what's in my oatmeal right now. Yummy!

I was at my LHBS this weekend (by local I mean 2 hours away), picked up some flaked maize and acid malt, and a few other grains. All they had to bag it in was paper sacks, so as soon as I got home I placed it in zip lock bags. The next morning the maize and acid malt were covered in weevils. Luckily I placed them in zip lock bags quickly so the rest of my grains didn't get buggy. I was looking forward to brewing this weekend but now I'm stuck waiting on UPS to deliver my replacement grains from Northern Brewer. I thought about using them anyways but there are just way to many weevils.

The red food colorants cochineal and carmine are made from ground bugs

Confirmed by snopes.

So, you've probably eaten bugs many times unknowingly. I heard Fig Newtons are loaded with non-plant materials.

The beer will be boiled, so no sanitation worries.

Regarding grain weevils, their effect on beer, how to get rid of them, with pics (!), here's my journey. BTW, if you see ONE grain weevil, freeze all your grain (although they only thrive in the light-colored stuff). There WILL be many, many more.

Grain Weevils Freezing Experiment
716686011_icon-32427.gif

If you are married, then remember you were warned. These little guys can get to other parts of your house (I haven't seen a grain weevil fly, but believe me they travel). If your wife pours some flour from the pantry and their are happy weevils mixed in there, you are in the doghouse.

Back